GATE is one of the toughest exams in India and is a prestigious National-level exam. It stands for “Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering”. It is used for securing admissions with possible financial assistance in various PG and PhD. Courses offered by the best engineering institutes in India- IITs. It also has become a requirement for PSU candidates. GATE is jointly conducted by the IIT-Bombay, IIT-Delhi, IIT-Guwahati, IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Madras, IIT-Roorkee and Indian Institute, for Science (IISC), Bangalore, on a rotating basis. This blog aims to help you understand the exam, its eligibility criteria, age limit, and qualification details.
|Exam name||Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering|
|GATE 2024 organizing institute||IISc Banglore|
|GATE 2024 Exam dates||3rd, 4th, 10th and 11th February 2024|
|Mode of Examination||Computer Based Mode (CBT)|
|Exam duration||3 Hours (180 minutes)|
|Validity of GATE Score/Grade||3 years|
Check out the prestigious IITs of India in this blog!
This Blog Includes:
Know all about the GATE Scholarship here!
Important Dates for GATE Application 2024
Below mentioned is a table with important dates of GATE 2024:
|Date of portal opening||24th August 2023|
|GATE 2024 registrations start||30th August 2023|
|Last date to Apply||29th September 2023|
|Closing date of extended online registration/ application process ( with late fee)||13th October 2023|
|Modifications in GATE 2024 application||7th-11th November 2023|
|Availability of GATE 2024 Admit cards||3rd January 2024|
|GATE 2024 Examination Dates||3rd, 4th, 10th and 11th February 2024|
|Candidate’s response available in the Application portal||16th February 2024|
|The answer key availability on the portal||21st February 2024|
|Submission of challenges by candidates on Answer Keys||22nd-25th February|
|Announcement of results of GATE 2024||16th March 2024|
|Availability of score card for download by candidates||23rd March 2024|
The exam on the above-mentioned dates will be held in 2 shifts-
- 9:30 A.M.- 12:30 P.M. ( Forenoon Session-FN)
- 2:30 P.M.- 5:30 P.M. ( Afternoon Session- AN)
Eligibility Criteria and Required Qualifications
There is a basic criterion along with specific qualifying degrees/examinations which are mentioned below:-
- Candidates, who are currently in their 3rd or higher year of the respective undergraduate program or who have completed any government-approved degree program in any discipline such as Engineering/Technology/Science/Architecture/Humanities etc are eligible for GATE 2024.
- Candidates having any certification from professional societies have to ensure that the exams are approved by Moe/AICTE/UGC/UPSC as being equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch./B.Planning, etc.
- Candidates having obtained or currently pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India must be currently in their 3rd or higher years or at least must have completed their Bachelor’s Degree of a minimum of 3 years of duration.
- For GATE 2024, there is no minimum or maximum age limit for any candidate to be eligible.
Any candidate fulfilling the above-mentioned criteria is eligible for GATE 2024.
GATE Qualifying Degrees
A table of qualifying degrees/examinations is given below for candidates pursuing their program currently:-
|Degree/Program||Qualifying degree/Examination||Description of Eligible Candidates|
|B.E./B.Tech./B.Pharm.||Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology(4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering/Technology||Currently in 3rd or higher year or already completed|
|B.Sc. (Research)/B.S.||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/ 4 years after 10+2)||Currently in 3rd Year or higher or already completed.|
|B.Arch.||Bachelor’s degree in Architecture (5-year course)/ Naval Architecture (4-year course)/ Planning (4-year course)||Currently in 3rd Year or higher or already completed.|
|Pharm.D.(After 10+2)||6 years degree program, consisting of internship or residency training, during the third year onwards.||Currently in 3rd/ 4th/ 5th/ 6th year or already completed.|
|M.Sc./ M.A./ MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Arts/ Science/ Mathematics/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in 1st Year or higher or already completed.|
|M.B.B.S./ B.D.S./ B.V.Sc.||Degree holders of MBBS/BDS/BSc and those who are in the 5th/ 6th/ 7th semester or higher of such program.||5th/ 6th/ 7th or higher semester or already completed.|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech. (Post-B.Sc.)||Post-B.Sc. integrated master’s degree programs in Engineering/ Technology (4-year program)||Currently in 1st/2nd/3rd/4th year or already completed.|
|Int. M.E./ M.Tech./ M.Pharm. Or dual degree (after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated master’s degree program of Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5-Year program)||Currently in 3rd/ 4th/ 5th year or already completed.|
|Professional Society Examinations(equivalent to B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch.)||B.E./ B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent exams of professional Societies, recognized by MoE/UPSC/ AICTE (e.g. AMIE by the Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India, and so on)||Completed section A or the equivalent of such professional Courses.|
|B.Sc./ B.A./ B.Com.||Bachelor’s degree in any branch of science/ARTS/Commerce||Currently in 3rd Year or already completed.|
|Int. M.Sc./ Int. B.S./M.S.||Integrated M.Sc. or 5-year integrated B.S.-M.S. program.||Currently in 3rd Year or higher or already completed.|
|B.Sc.(Agriculture, Horticulture, Forestry)||4-year program||Currently in 3rd/ 4th Year or already completed.|
Below is the documents list required for filling out the online application form for GATE 2024:-
- Scanned copy of caste certificate (SC/ST) in pdf format (if applicable).
- Scanned copy of the certificate for Dyslexia in pdf format (if applicable).
- A high-quality image of the candidate’s photograph conforming to the requirements specified in the information brochure of the GATE 2024 exam.
- A high-quality image of the candidate’s signature conforming to the requirements specified in the information brochure of the GATE 2024 exam.
- Scanned copy of PwD certificate in pdf format (if applicable).
- Scanned copy of valid photo identity document: Aadhar card,-UID (preferable)/Passport/PAN card/Voter ID /Driving license.
- The photo ID must have the NAME, DOB of the candidate, and unique photo number. This photo ID must be carried in its original format to the examination hall for verification.
GATE Application Fees
|Category||Regular Period (24th August-29th September 2023)(In Rupees)||During the Extended Period (30th September- 13h October 2023)(In Rupees)|
(per test paper)
|All other candidates
including foreign nationals
(per test paper)
Note: The above-mentioned fees are for a single test paper. Candidates opting for 2 papers would have to pay twice the above-mentioned fees.
GATE 2024 is being organized by Indian Institute for Science (IISC) Bengaluru.
GATE 2024 will be held on the 3rd, 4th, 10th, and 11th February 2024.
The GATE score is valid for 3 years.
Candidates willing to take the GATE exam need to understand the GATE syllabus first. After that, 6 to 8 months of preparation are enough for any candidate with a basic understanding of all the subjects covered in the GATE exam.
To know more about such Competitive Exams in India, visit our Indian Exams page now!