The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is an eminent national professional institution established under the Act of Parliament. The ICSI works under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India. The institute was set up with the vision to develop and regulate the profession of Company Secretaries.
The ICSI has its headquarters in New Delhi with four regional offices as well as 72 chapters across the country. The CS examination is conducted across 87 centres in India and one overseas centre in Dubai, UAE.
There are three stages of the CS programme, namely the foundation, the executive and the professional. In this blog, we will particularly focus on and discuss in detail the CS Professional programme.
|Name of the Exam||Company Secretary Professional Programme Exam|
|Examination Conducting Body||The Institute of Company Secretaries of India|
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Level of Exam||National level|
|Mode of Examination||Offline (pen and paper)|
|Duration of Examination||3 hours|
|Type of Questions||Descriptive answer questions|
|Language of the Examination||BilingualEnglishHindi|
This Blog Includes:
- CS 2023 Exam Dates
- CS Professional Exam Pattern
- CS Professional Exam Syllabus
- CS Professional Eligibility Criteria
- CS Professional Application Process
- CS Professional Exam Fee
- E-Learning Facility
- Practical Experience and Training Requirements
- How to Prepare for CS Professional Programme Exam 2023
- CS Professional Programme 2023 Result
- CS Professional Programme 2023 Selection Process
CS 2023 Exam Dates
In order to prepare properly, a candidate must keep in mind the important dates of the CS Professional programme exam. For a detailed list of important dates, candidates should refer to the below PDF.
CS Professional Exam Pattern
There are a few details that a candidate needs to keep in mind before proceeding with the application for the CS Professional programme 2023. An examinee is declared passed in the CS Professional examination only if the candidate successfully secures a minimum of 40% marks at one sitting in each paper of the module and scores a minimum of 50% marks in the aggregate of all the subjects. A candidate has to complete the CS Professional examination within the period of registration. The registration is valid for 5 years from the day of issue. The validity of the registration may be renewed/extended under the condition of the payment of the requisite fees subject to fulfilling the applicable guidelines.
The table below details more about the examination pattern of the CS Professional programme:
|Frequency of the examination||Twice a year
June and December
|Language of the examination||Bilingual- English and Hindi|
|Qualifying marks||40% marks in each paper
50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects
|Duration of the course||4-5 months; within the registration period|
Also Read: ICSI Exam 2023
CS Professional Exam Syllabus
There are three modules in the CS Professional programme. The modules are further divided into nine papers. Refer to the table below for a more detailed syllabus for the CS Professional programme.
|Module I||Governance, risk management, compliances and ethics
Advanced tax laws
Drafting, pleadings and appearances
|Module II||Secretarial audit, compliance management and due diligence
Corporate restructuring, insolvency, liquidation and winding-up
Resolution of corporate disputes, non-compliances and remedies
|Module III||Corporate funding and listings in stock exchanges
Multidisciplinary case studies (open book examination)
Electives to be chosen any one out of 8
1. Banking- law and practice
2. Insurance- law and practice
3. Intellectual property rights– law and practices
4. Forensic audit
5. Direct tax law and practice
6. Labour laws and practices
7. Valuations and business modelling
8. Insolvency- law and practice
CS Professional Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the CS Professional programme there are certain eligibility criteria that a candidate must meet. The eligibility criteria, according to the brochure of the ICSI, is as follows:
- The candidate will be admitted to the CS Professional programme only under the condition that the candidate must have registered with the portal of ICSI as a student not less than nine calendar months before the commencement of the examination.
- Additionally, the CS Professional programme can only be pursued by the candidates who have completed/qualified for the CS Foundation and Executive Programme.
CS Professional Application Process
The registration process for the CS Professional programme is open throughout the year. Interested students have to register at the official website of ICSI on the online services. Once the applicant has successfully registered at the portal of the ICSI, the candidate then must upload scanned copies of the class 12th examination pass certificate and mark sheet, proof of date of birth, passport size photograph and signature.
CS Professional Exam Fee
To complete the registration procedure for the CS Professional programme, the aspiring candidate has to make a fee payment of INR 1200 per module.
The deadline for the application for the CS Professional programme is different for the two sessions of the examination.
- Candidates who want to apply for the June session must submit the application form by the 25th of March. In case of late submission, an additional fee of INR 250 will be applicable. Late submission is only allowed till the 9th of April.
- Candidates willing to apply for the September session have to submit the application form by 25th September. However, In case of late submission, the candidate will have to submit the form by the 10th of October with an additional fee of INR 250 for a late submission.
The admitted candidates have to make a successful course payment of INR 12,000 to the ICSI for the CS Professional programme. The payment can only be made through an online payment gateway using a debit card, credit card, net banking, or UPI.
To help students with the smooth facilitation of the CS Professional programme, there is an E-learning portal. Students from any corner of the world can access the benefits of the facility 24*7. The online portal includes web-based training (WBT), video-based training (VBT) and live virtual classroom sessions (LVC). There is an additional charge as fixed by the ICSI applicable from time to time to access the benefits of the e-learning portal.
Practical Experience and Training Requirements
The appearing candidates and after completing the CS Professional programme are required to fulfil certain specific requirements that include practical experience and training requirements.
- The candidates have to complete 15 months of training after qualifying for the CS Professional programme.
- The candidates have to complete 15 days of training with any specialised agency, namely the office of the Registrar of Companies, stock exchange, financial or banking institution or management consultancy firm.
- After passing the CS Professional programme, the candidates have to complete 15 days of the Management Skills Orientation Programme (MSOP).
- The candidates will have to complete 25 hours of the Professional Development Programme (PDP).
- Only those students passing the CS Professional programme can enrol themselves as ‘Licentiate ICSI’ at their option till the completion of practical experience and training requirements.
- After successful completion and qualifying for the CS Professional programme, pre-membership and management training, the candidate is enrolled as an Associate Member of the Institute and can use ACS as a descriptive title after their names.
- After successful enrollment as a member of the ICSI, candidates can use CS as a prefix with their names.
How to Prepare for CS Professional Programme Exam 2023
In this section of the blog, you will find in detail the list of best books, tips and previous years’ questions to help you perform exceptionally well in the CS Professional programme examination.
Best Books to Prepare for CS Professional Programme Exam 2023
To score well in the CS Professional programme examination, you need to read module and subject-specific books to score well, qualify and be eligible. Begin with your preparation by referring to the list of books given below.
|Module I||Taxmann’s CRACKER for Governance Risk Management Compliances and Ethics by Adv. Ritika Godhwani
Taxmann’s CRACKER for Advanced Tax Law by CA Pratik Neve
Taxmann’s CRACKER for Drafting Pleadings and Appearances by Adv. Ritika Godhwani
|Module II||Taxmann’s CRACKER for Secretarial Audit Compliance Management and Due Diligence by CS Divya Bajpai
Taxmann’s CRACKER for Corporate Restructuring Insolvency Liquidation and Winding-Up by CA Prasad Vijay Bhat and CS Divya Bajpai
Taxmann’s CRACKER for Resolution of Corporate Disputes Non-Compliances and Remedies by CA Atul Karampurwala
|Module III||Taxmann’s CRACKER for Corporate Funding and Listings in Stock Exchanges by CS Divya Bajpai
Taxmann’s Study Material
CS Professional Programme 2023 Preparation Tips
There are many practical tips and tricks that work in favour of the students and help in qualifying for the CS Professional programme examination on the first attempt. Here are some of the best-tested tips to try and apply for the best results:
- While preparing for the CS Professional programme, you are advised to prepare a schedule according to the three modules in such a way that it focuses on each subject of the module, covers the entire syllabus in detail, and enhances your test-taking skills.
- Do not forget to work on your time management skills as the duration of the examination is fixed. So divide your time judiciously between each module.
- Remember practice is the key to success. Give each module a minimum of 2 hours a day, add a sample question paper/previous year’s question paper based on the subjects of the particular module of the CS Professional programme and take adequate time to practise.
CS Professional Programme Previous Year Question Papers
To prepare well for the CS Professional programme, candidates should refer to the previous years’ question papers and answers to score and perform well in the final examination. Since the CS Professional programme has 3 modules, refer to the attached previous years’ question papers along with answers.
CS Professional Programme 2023 Result
The result of the candidate can be checked on the official website of the ICSI once declared. The steps to check the result are as follows:
- To download the e-mark sheet, the candidates have to visit the official website.
- Select the result and download tab.
- Once the tab opens, select the examination, enter the roll number and 17-digit registration number and click on submit.
- The e-mark sheet will be displayed on the screen.
- The candidates are advised to download the e-mark sheet for future reference.
CS Professional Programme 2023 Selection Process
There is no selection process per se to qualify for the CS professional programme apart from qualifying for the foundation and executive programmes. Once you have cleared the three stages of the CS course and completed the practical experiences and training programmes successfully, you are eligible to become a CS.
The Company Secretary course (CS) is offered by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI), set up under the Company Secretaries Act, 1980 to regulate the profession of company secretaries in India.
There are three stages which are covered under CS Course as noted below:
No, a downloaded copy of the registration form is unacceptable. Additionally, any mode of offline application or registration is not available. The process of registration is only available through the online mode registration form.
Qualifying for the CS Professional programme is a challenging task but the reward is gratifying. We hope the article proved helpful to you and successfully aid you in establishing a career in the ICSI and serving the nation. Interested candidates are advised to frequently visit the official website for the latest updates.
For more such updates, check out our Indian exams page and do not forget to follow us on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.