The full form of VIRUS is Vital Information Resources. Any type of malware (malicious software) that can result in operational issues, data theft, file deletion, data loss, and system damage is referred to as a virus. Vital Information Resources spread via USB, hard disks, malicious websites, phishing emails, hard drives, and illegitimate programmes and software. All different types of viruses are standard computer programmes that browse through a computer system to steal data for the malware author.
Types of Viruses
Here are some of the most common Computer viruses:
- Stealth Virus
- Boot Sector Virus
- Macro Virus
- Spam Virus
- Multipartite Virus
- File Infector Virus
- Network Virus
- Direct Action Virus
- Overwrite Virus
- Resident Virus
- Web Scripting Virus
- Browser Hijacker
- Polymorphic Virus
Examples of Computer Viruses
Given below are examples of computer viruses:
- Morris Worm
- SQL Slammer
Symptoms of Computer Viruses
Certain signs of a virus/ransomware/malware attack on a computer system are as follows:
- The home page of the web browser keeps changing automatically, without manual intervention.
- Frequent crashing down of the computer which is exhibited by the blue screen on the monitor/screen.
- Slowing down computer performance.
- The constant appearance of different types of popup windows, such as links to malicious websites or adware.
- People on your contact list receive outbound emails and suspicious messages from your email account.
- Initiation of suspicious computer programmes while the system boots or you are using certain software.
Ways to Prevent Computer Viruses
To avoid virus attacks and prevent damage to computers, people are advised to follow the below listed basic practices:
- Avoid the use of pirated software
- Install Anti-virus software
- Update the Operating System (OS) regularly
- Keep away from questionable websites and applications
- Do not view executable emails
Also Read: How to Make a Career in Cyber Forensics?
We hope this blog has helped you understand the full form of VIRUS. If you wish to know more about abbreviations and acronyms such as these, you can stay connected with our page to expand your knowledge. Feel free to contact our study abroad experts to realise your abroad medical studies dreams.