20 Interesting Facts About Earth for Students

2 minute read
Interesting Facts About EARTH (5)

Our home Earth is truly a wonderful planet. It offers the right environment and resources to sustain life and house thousands of plants and animals. Moreover, Earth consists of deep oceans, high mountains, plains, and wide deserts. However, factors such as pollution, deforestation, and climate change are constantly depleting Earth’s natural resources. Therefore, World Earth Day is celebrated every year on 22 April to raise awareness about tackling such and more issues. Here are a few interesting facts about Earth for students to increase their knowledge about our planet Earth.

20 Cool Facts about Earth

1. Earth is not flat but not perfectly round either. 

2. 71% of the Earth’s surface is covered with water whereas only 29% is land. 

3. Only 3% of Earth’s water is freshwater while the remaining 97% is salt water. 

4. It is the third planet from the Sun.

5. Earth is the Fifth largest planet in our solar system.

Interesting Facts About Earth

6. Earth is also one of the four terrestrial planets. The other three are Mercury, Venus, and Mars.

7. It is the only planet in our solar system whose name is not taken from Greek or Roman mythology.

8. The term Earth comes from old English and Germanic languages and means “the ground”.  

Interesting Facts About Earth

9. Earth takes about 365.25 days to complete one rotation around the sun.

10. Earth completes one rotation in 23.9 hours.

11. Earth rotates on an imaginary axis point, which causes days and nights.  

12. It takes about eight minutes for light from the sun to reach our planet Earth.

Interesting Facts About Earth

13. A popular saying, the calm before the storm, is actually true. 

14. Earth is the only planet with a single moon, which acts like its satellite. 

15. Our planet Earth has no rings. 

16. Earth consists of four main layers including an inner core at the centre, followed by the outer core, mantle, and crust. 

Interesting Facts About Earth

17. The mantle is the thickest layer of the Earth with a caramel-like consistency.

18. Earth’s atmosphere consists of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases. 

19. Coral reefs are Earth’s largest living structures, made up of tiny animals known as coral polyps.

20. The moon’s gravitational pull creates high and low tides in the ocean. 

Interesting Facts About Earth

Hope you had fun reading these interesting facts about Earth. If you want to read more interesting facts, I would recommend reading this interesting blog 15 Mind-blowing Facts About India’s Gaganyaan Mission.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *