The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is an English proficiency test that assesses non-English speakers aiming to pursue higher education or professional opportunities in English-speaking countries. Among the various sections of the TOEFL, the Writing section plays a crucial role in evaluating your ability to construct well-structured sentences in English.
In this blog, we’ll explore the significance of thesis statements and topic sentences in TOEFL essays and how to use them.
The Role of Thesis Statements
A thesis statement is a clear and concise sentence that presents the main point or argument of your essay. In the TOEFL Writing section, your thesis statement should be placed at the end of your introductory paragraph for the Independent Writing Task.
These are the reasons why Thesis statements are important in the writing task:
- Good score: TOEFL scorers are trained to look for a clear and effective thesis statement. A strong thesis can boost your essay’s overall score.
- Clear link: Each paragraph should relate back to and support your thesis, creating a coherent argument.
- Clarity: A well-crafted thesis statement immediately communicates the purpose of your essay to the reader. It helps your essay stay focused and prevents you from going off-topic.
Also Read TOEFL Results and Score
The Significance of Topic Sentences
Topic sentences are like mini-thesis statements for each paragraph within your essay. They provide a clear and focused point for each section of your essay, guiding your reader through your argument step by step.
These are some of the tips for writing effective topic sentences:
- Be specific: Each topic sentence should relate directly to the main argument of its respective paragraph.
- Use transitions: Transition words and phrases can help connect your topic sentences to the previous paragraph and enhance the flow of your essay.
The full form of TOEFL is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
There are four sections in the TOEFL exam i.e. Reading, Listening, Speaking and Writing.
There are two main types of TOEFL exams i.e. TOEFL-PBT, and TOEFL-iBT. However, there are some added types as well such as TOEFL Junior, TOEFL-IBT and TOEFL-CBT.
English language certifications are instrumental in securing admission to leading universities. Many of them require that you score the predefined marks to be eligible to apply. In any case, a high score increases your chances of admission. Build a plan with Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and our top trainers and strengthen your English score and your application to secure your spot in your dream college.