By simply analysing the name of the profession, we come to understand that a ‘system architect’ is someone who is responsible for designing and architecting computer systems and their databases. They are IT professionals and highly relevant to the functioning of the IT sector. A goal to become a system architect involves setting up a directed path about mastering an ideal timeline, enhancing the right skills, obtaining the appropriate educational qualifications, and getting to know about the salary and future prospects of the profession. To know about the same and more, continue reading this blog on how to become a system architect!
This Blog Includes:
- A System Architect: A Brief Introduction
- A System Architect: Relevance and Demand
- Educational Qualifications
- Core Skills Required to Become a System Architect
- Progression to Become a System Architect
- Salary Prospects
- Top Employers of System Architects
A System Architect: A Brief Introduction
As mentioned above, a system architect looks after designing computer systems and their functioning. They are tasked with organising, addressing, and solving problems related to the system’s quality and effectiveness. A system architect works so efficiently and subtly that everyday organisational activities are not hampered while they work on improving and introducing updates to the existing system(s).
Next, did you know that system architects also comprise people who are simply known as analysts of computer systems; and/or network architects? That’s because the system architects are responsible for designing the hardware and software of computer systems while addressing issues, and simultaneously fixing the same. Moreover, they are responsible for comprehending the strain that the systems can handle and the requirements needed to make them more durable!
The aforementioned have been some of the basic introductory points on understanding the role of a system architect. Now, let’s move on to understanding the relevance of this profession and how it’s in demand that may come to your benefit.
A System Architect: Relevance and Demand
Discussed below are the main crucial duties of a system architect that expands on their relevance in an organisation, further suggesting why their presence is in demand in various sectors.
- The entire functioning of a company’s technology systems, including all relevant platforms and IT infrastructure is the responsibility of a system architect.
- Quality control, preparing reports and overseeing project/ system designs are all aspects of a system architect’s job description.
- Risk management of projects as the architectural leadership to meet the company’s technological objectives is underway is also ensured by a system architect.
- System Architects further enhance their importance in a company as they are often required to submit reports and designs directly to The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) or a vice president.
- System Architects also don’t miss out on supporting the users by improving their experience, benefitting one of the main intentions of any organisation.
Must Read: A Guide to Pursue Architecture in Australia
Now that the blog has talked about what it is to be a system architect, let’s move on to the educational requirements that are needed to reach this position; along with the eligibility criteria and global universities supporting those qualifications.
Courses and Certifications
The main courses and certifications are mentioned below.
|Bachelor in Computer Science
BSc Computer Science
BSc (Hons) ComputingBachelor in Information Technology
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology
Master’s degree in Professional IT
MS in Computer Science
Related 4-year degrees in computer science.
|Certified System Architect (CSA)
Professional in Architecture (CISSP)
CEH v11 – Certified Ethical Hacking Course
Certified Network Security Open-Source Software Developer
Certified Technical Architect (CTA)
Stanford Advanced Computer Security Program
Certified Pega Business Architect (CPBA)
Software Engineering Master Certification (SEMC)
Certified Senior System Architect (CSSA)
Red Hat Certified Architect (RHCA)
Cisco Certified Architect (CCA)
Certified Information Systems Security
CCSP Certification Course
Basic Eligibility Criteria
The basic eligibility criteria are mentioned below.
- Complete education at 10+2 level from a recognised board before being able to enrol into a four-year degree program. Options for certifications, as mentioned above, are also available.
- To pursue a master’s degree, a relevant four-year bachelor’s degree must be completed, with qualifying scores as per the university.
- To pursue these courses from abroad, prepare for SAT, if applicable; along with English language proficiency tests, such as IELTS, TOEFL, etc.
Best Global Universities
The best global universities for computer science are mentioned below.
|Name of University||U.S. News Rankings 2022-23 (Computer Science)|
|Tsinghua University, China||1|
|Stanford University, USA||2|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA||3|
|Carnegie Mellon University, USA||4|
|University of California Berkeley, USA||5|
|Nanyang Technological University, Singapore||6|
|National University of Singapore||6|
|ETH Zurich, Switzerland||8|
|Peking University, China||9|
|Chinese University of Hong Kong||10|
Core Skills Required to Become a System Architect
Tabulated below are some of the key skills that are required for one to become a system architect, including basic management skills that are needed for job responsibilities.
|Professional Skills||Soft Skills|
Information technology (IT) management and security
Project Management Skills
Progression to Become a System Architect
The most common progression followed to become a system architect is displayed below.
It is important to note that to achieve the position of system architect, the presence of ample and relevant work experience, including internships, in the portfolio of the candidate stands out for employers.
The average Salary that system architects can expect in India and abroad is shared below.
|In India||INR 23 lakh.|
|In Abroad||$103,764 (INR 85 lakh)|
Top Employers of System Architects
There are many companies that are the top candidates when it comes to the hiring of system architects. They are listed below.
- Northrop Grumman
- Bank of America
Ans. Skills such as network and system development, and IT strategy are some of the skills required for system architects.
Ans. A degree in computer science is preferred for a system architect.
Ans. Yes, system architects are in demand. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for system architects is expected to grow by 9% in 2024.
You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists regarding the application process of a global university for computer science so that you can realise your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.