The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) is offering fully funded research internships for international students. The aim of the short-term research internship program is to assist students in gaining experience in a particular laboratory or learning specific techniques. Therefore, the research interns would work under the supervision of a professor and contribute to the research activities at the graduate school.
The internship is only meant for students from the STEM fields. Moreover, the duration of the research internship is between 2-6 months. The OIST research interns will receive internship allowance and community allowance. Additionally, they will have their travel expenses covered.
There are mainly two application periods. That is, spring and fall internships. Interested students can apply for the same before the deadline.
OIST Fully Funded Research Internship Eligibility
The OIST Fully Funded Research Internship has certain eligibility requirements. These are as follows:
- The applicant is in the final 2 years of the undergraduate program/Masters program in universities/junior colleges/colleges. Recent graduates of such institutions can also apply.
- The student must meet the academic requirements of the desired host unit (s) at the OIST.
OIST Fully Funded Research Internship Benefits
OIST provides several benefits to the selected research interns. Selected interns can receive them. These benefits are as follows:
- The research interns will have the opportunity to apply directly to the fully funded PhD program at the University. The applications of such students are processed regardless of the application deadline.
- Additionally, OIST will cover 1 direct trip flight from the student’s home and Okinawa (Japan), accommodation expenses, visa expenses, and insurance procedures
- Moreover, a living allowance of JPY2,400 (1,357.95) per working day is available
Students interested in the OIST Fully Funded Research Internship can apply for the same before the deadline. There are two application periods for the spring and fall internships respectively. The deadline for the spring internship is 15 October 2023. Similarly, the deadline for the fall internship is on 15th April 2024.