The Ministry of Education, Department of Higher Education (GOI) is facilitating scholarships provided by foreign countries under the Cultural Exchange programs. One such scholarship is the UK Commonwealth Scholarship. The notification for the scholarship is set to release in the month of August/ September. Moreover, the information regarding the same is provided to universities/institutes and the UGC. It will also be advertised in the leading newspapers in India.
The UK Commonwealth Scholarship scholarship is available to Indian students pursuing a Master’s or Ph.D. in the UK. Moreover, students from Engineering and Technology, Science (pure and applied), agriculture and allied field, and humanities and social sciences are eligible.
The Scholarship would cover the tuition fees, examination fees, airfare, living expenses, warm clothing allowance, study travel grant, and thesis grant, among others. Additionally, family allowances are granted if the scholarship exceeds 18 months.
UK Commonwealth Scholarship Eligibility
The UK Commonwealth Scholarship eligibility criteria are as follows:
- For the MA degree: the applicant must hold a BA in the relevant subject and must secure a minimum of 60% or above marks in Humanities/65% or above marks in Engineering and Technology, Science, and Agriculture groups.
- For a Ph.D. degree: the applicant must hold an MA in the relevant field and must secure a minimum of 60% or above marks in Humanities/65% or above marks in Engineering and Technology, Science, and Agriculture groups.
- Additionally, the Ph.D. applicant must obtain a letter of acceptance from the chosen university.
- Moreover, the applicant must not exceed the age limit of 40 years.
- Securing the minimum IELTS score required by the university is also mandatory.
- However, students who have already been abroad for studies are not eligible to apply
- Exceptions: Candidates who have already undergone training, specialization, or studies abroad on scholarships or independently and have resided in India for a minimum of 2 years after their return are eligible.
UK Commonwealth Scholarship Selection Process
The Ministry website contains the details of the UK Commonwealth scholarship. Information on selected candidates for interviews is provided via email. The release of the list of shortlisted candidates is between 20th November and 15th December.
The UK Commonwealth Scholarship selection process consists of an interview, and nominations based on interview. However, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission will make the final decision. Interested candidates can apply online.Apply for a scholarship in the UK. Find out more scholarships and grants news here.