While living as a student abroad one gets to become a part of many important days like World Food Day in a very different way. While it might sound like all delicious meals and lots of eating, it is a day to preserve food and fight hunger. This year’s theme for World Food Day is, ’Water is life, water is food. Leave no one behind’. Let’s explore what World Food Day actually is and how to celebrate it as an international student this year.
Background & Significance
On every 16th of October 2023, World Food Day is celebrated across the world. Moreover, its purpose is to raise awareness and initiate action for the future of food and people. The day corresponds to the environment and awareness about hunger in various countries. Various organisations and people try that no person goes to sleep on an empty stomach on this day.
Day was founded by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in the year 1979. Since then, the organisation has been trying to raise spirits to fight hunger and malnutrition and marks this day to emphasize and discuss challenges that arise due to it. The sustainability of food production is also a part of this campaign to save the environment from exploitative agriculture.
5 Best Ways to Celebrate World Food Day Internationally
If you have got confused about how to celebrate World Food Day this year, here are 5 things that you can do. Do not worry if you have not prepared beforehand, some of these activities can be done at the last moment.
- If you take pride in being a good cook, then take some healthy home-cooked meals for the poor who cannot afford nutritious food.
- Conduct an awareness session for the locals or attend one in your locality. You can research such events related to World Food Day and attend.
- Start a fundraising campaign to help farmers, preserve water or provide food to the poor. You can also donate to organisations already working towards attaining these goals.
- Be a local hero. Plant a tree or conserve water at a local level. Organise plantation drives based on the plants that are suitable for the soil type of your area.
- Make a long-term commitment. Quitting bad habits like wasting food & water, unhealthy eating habits, or commitments like feeding one human or animal each day will be great ways to celebrate the day.
Therefore, there are many ways in which you can celebrate World Food Day 2023. However, you must do so with complete dedication and uphold the spirit of healthy eating habits. If you want to read more such exciting information, make sure you follow Leverage Edu News Updates.