Study Abroad in Netherlands: Total Number of International Students Has Risen Over 7%

2 minute read
Study Abroad in Netherlands: Total Number of International Students Has Risen Over 7%
The total number of international students who want to complete their higher education in the Netherlands has risen by 7%.

Many international students from different parts of the world are coming to the Netherlands to complete their higher education. As a result, the overall number is also gradually increasing. 


Even though the current number is a little bit less than before, as stated by Nufiic, one of the most popular organisations responsible for handling the internationalization of education, the universities are expecting steady growth by the next intake. 

In this current 2023-2024 academic year, more than 122,287 students from different corners of the world will complete their higher education at the Netherlands universities. More than 70% of these students have been admitted to research universities. On the other hand, the remaining 30% chose applied sciences universities. 

Study Abroad in Netherlands: Total Number of International Students Has Risen Over 7%

Unlike the last year when the student enrolment was lower, the number of international students has increased by 7% in the current academic year. However, despite the increment, it’s the first time in many years that the increment failed to exceed 10%. 

Although the educational courses at the Netherlands universities are extremely eye-catching as well as effective at helping students gain new knowledge, the housing shortage is preventing many international students from coming and pursuing their higher education. 

Netherlands: Study Abroad Destination for International Students

In this current academic year, more than 45,000 international students have started their academic classes in the Netherlands. This is undoubtedly higher compared to the last academic year when the number of international students decreased by more than 17% due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Reports stated that around 15% of students studying at different Netherlands universities come from overseas. The figure was less than 13% in the last academic year. As the number of Dutch students qualifying for the Netherlands universities failed, the number of international students is increasing. 

Reports also stated that most international students in the Netherlands come from Germany. The list is followed by Italy, Romania, and China.

For more news updates, make sure you follow Leverage Edu.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *