Many students wish to study abroad but get tensed by the thought of fee expenses. You have to plan your expenses well before going abroad to pursue your studies. To reduce the monetary burden, students can choose to apply for scholarships or freeships. Applying for a scholarship or freeship can cover various expenses including tuition-fee, living expenses, monthly expenses etc. If you are interested in knowing more about scholarships and freeships, continue reading this blog on Scholarship vs Freeship, created just for you.
This Blog Includes:
What is a Scholarship?
Scholarships are programs that offer financial aid or grant money awarded to students on various criteria including academic, ethnicity, gender, country of origin and etc. Scholarship decision is based on assessing your application. The grant money is pre-decided and is awarded to many domestic and international students motivating them to pursue their education.
Types of Scholarship
The following are the types of scholarships students can apply for:
- Academic Scholarships – Academic scholarships are merit-based scholarships that are offered to students with an excellent academic record or extracurricular performance
- Subject Specific scholarships are provided to students depending on a particular subject of study
- Student Specific scholarships are offered to students belonging to specific various criteria including academic, ethnicity, gender, country of origin and etc
- Sports Scholarships – These scholarships are offered to students who are exemplary in athletics and are a top-notch sportsman
What is a Freeship?
Freeship as the name suggests provides a total exemption on tuition fees. Freeship is a financial aid as well that encourages students to study abroad. Generally, freeships are offered to students who hail from financially weaker backgrounds. Along with academic excellence, freeships are equal to 100% scholarship. In the USA, many universities offer need-based scholarships to students.
Difference Between Scholarship and Freeship
|Scholarships are financial aid or financial grant awarded to students to help them pay for their education||Freeship are financial aid awarded to students to exempt the whole or partial tuition fees|
|Scholarships are offered depending on various criteria||Freeships are generally offered to students who belong to economically weaker backgrounds|
|Students are eligible for scholarships based on their application and academic records||In order to apply for freeships, students need to fulfil required terms and conditions|
Top Scholarships for International Students in USA
The following are the top scholarships for international students:
|Fulbright Scholarship||Full tuition fees and other expenses|
|Stanford University Scholarship||Full tuition fees and other expenses|
|University of New Haven Scholarship||75% of tuition fees|
|University of Memphis Scholarship||Varies|
|Onsi Sawiris Scholarship||Full tuition fees and other expenses|
How to Apply for a Scholarship or Freeship
The application method for a scholarship or freeship may vary depending on the university. The following are the steps to apply for a scholarship for freeship:
- To apply for a scholarship you will need to visit the website of your chosen institution
- You can select to apply for a merit-based scholarship while filling up your application form
- You can apply for other specific scholarships separately on the institutions’ website
- You will have to provide the supporting documents for your selected scholarship
- You may also be asked to provide a written essay describing your statements
- Keep in mind to apply before the application deadlines
Scholarships are programs that offer financial aid or grant money awarded to students on various criteria including academic, ethnicity, gender, country of origin and etc. Scholarship decision is based on assessing your application
Freeship as the name suggests provides a total exemption on tuition fees. Freeship is a financial aid as well that encourages students to study abroad. Generally, freeships are offered to students who hail from financially weaker backgrounds.
Academic Scholarships, Subject Specific, Student Specific, and Sports Scholarships are some of the common types of scholarships offered to students.
Well, we hope that this blog has provided you with the relevant knowledge related to scholarship vs freeship. And if you are planning to study abroad, contact our study experts call us at 1800-572-000, and book your free counselling session today. You can also connect with us at the Leverage Edu website.