If studying abroad is your dream and you wish to pursue PhD in Ireland then you just landed on the right page. This blog will offer you all the information regarding PhD in Ireland. So, don’t worry about the hectic application process and eligibility, we will help you navigate the relevant information while you go through this blog. This blog contains information about the benefits of pursuing PhD in Ireland, the application process, scholarship details, eligibility criteria, necessary documents required for PhD in Ireland, top universities in Ireland, and the future scope of PhD.
This Blog Includes:
Overview of PhD in Ireland
PhD is the highest level of degree in any field of study. If you possess a master’s degree from a recognized university with minimum qualifying marks then, you are eligible to pursue PhD in your desired specialization/subject. As the education system in Ireland is the best, it makes the country a desirable place to study.
International students can come across various PhD opportunities in Ireland. There are two broad categories in which students can enroll themselves for PhD in Ireland i.e. Universities and Institutes of Technology.
Talking about the duration of PhD in Ireland, a full-time PhD generally lasts for 3-4 years. This duration could get extended based on the amount of work.
Also Read: Study in Ireland
Quick Facts: PhD in Ireland
|Course||PhD in Ireland|
|Duration of the course||Full-time/part-time|
|Average tuition fee for PhD||€6,000-€9000 (INR 5,43,775 – INR-8,15,662)|
|Post study work permit||2 years|
|Top Universities||Trinity College DublinUniversity College DublinUniversity of Limerick National University of Ireland|
Benefits of Pursuing PhD in Ireland
Mentioned below are some of the benefits that students can avail for doing PhD in Ireland:
- The universities in Ireland have adopted creative teaching techniques and the country offers in-depth practical and theoretical training to the doctoral students. Thus, it offers the best research opportunities
- Every university has its own set criteria, but some universities in Ireland permit enrollment in PhD programs without a master’s degree. So, you could directly jump to a PhD course after the completion of the bachelor’s degree
- Generally, the course duration may get extended, but universities in Ireland do not extend the course duration for more than 4 years
- Some of the best universities in Ireland offering PhD are Trinity College Dublin, University College Cork, National University of Ireland, and many more
- One of the major benefits of pursuing a PhD in Ireland is that you can contact your supervisor beforehand. This process will eventually help you understand whether your supervisor shares the same interest in research
- Lastly, pursuing a PhD in Ireland enables you to apply for a post-study work permit. Thus, the international candidate could stay back in Ireland for a job and attain work experience
Eligibility Criteria for PhD in Ireland
The eligibility criteria for getting entry into PhD in Ireland for international students vary from university to institute to college. The following are the main PhD requirements for international students:
- The international candidate must possess proof of a master’s degree from a recognized university with a minimum of 60% or 6.0 CGPA
- Irish is the official language in Ireland, but university instructions are delivered in English, so non-native students have to provide English proficiency test scores. As you are going abroad to study, it becomes crucial that you are well-versed with the English language and to prove this, you must have an English language proficiency scorecard. For internet-based TOEFL– an 88-90 score, IELTS– 6.5-7.0, and PTE academic a minimum score of 63 is necessary.
- International students must possess a valid study visa
- Transcripts and scorecards of aptitude/standardized tests should also be available to the candidate. Some major standardized tests are GMAT/GAMSAT/GRE
- International students must also provide an updated Resume, 2 LOR (letter of recommendation), and the SOP (Statement of purpose)
Also Read: Engineering colleges in Ireland
Application Process for PhD in Ireland
All the eligible international students seeking admission in PhD in Ireland apply to the institute’s international office directly. Some universities in Ireland will need the candidates to apply via PAC (Postgraduate Applications Centre) which is similar to the UCAS system used by the United Kingdom UG students. In this system, every applicant is given a unique identification number, and all the information is submitted online.
All the candidates have to submit a non-refundable fee at the time of application i.e. the application fee of €50.
As the application process varies, the international applicant must make sure that all the documents including the study proposal and personal statement as well as transcript are ready.
- Research and select the university.
- Select the specialization and find a supervisor- the candidate needs to review the university website and select your supervisor and contact them via email. The supervisor might get many applications so you need to make sure that your application stands out amongst all the applications and the supervisor selects you.
- Further, you need to prepare a research proposal and it is compulsory in the case of PhD students. The word count of the proposal should range between 1500-2000 and it should include your field of study and the reason for the research. Basically, the purpose should have an explanation regarding the purpose of choosing a particular subject and your past experience and education.
- Provide the university with two letters of recommendation. If you wish to study PhD in Ireland then it is necessary to possess LOR which is written by any person associated with your previous institute and they would refer your candidature to the university of your choice.
- Lastly, complete all the paperwork.
Documents Required for PhD in Ireland
Listed below are the Documents required for PhD in Ireland:
- Copies of all academic qualifications (Master and Bachelor)
- 2 passport-sized coloured photographs
- Signed application letter
- Proof of educational gaps (if any)
- A copy of the current and prior passports (if any)
- Proof of finances
- Acceptance letter from the university
- Proof of deposits
- Medical coverage
Also Read: Universities in Ireland for PhD
Top Universities in Ireland
Listed below are the Top Universities for PhD in Ireland:
|University||THE 2023||QS 2023||ARWU 2022|
|Trinity College Dublin||=161||98||151-200|
|RCSI University of Medicine and Health Sciences||201-250||–||801-900|
|University College Dublin||201-250||181||301-400|
|National University of Ireland, Galway||351-400||270||5001-600|
|University College Cork||301-350||303||301-400|
The scholarship is awarded to both domestic as well as international candidates from various universities in Ireland. Students all over the world seeking admission in PhD in Ireland can apply for the scholarship program. The student must possess a first-class and second-class bachelor’s degree to be able to apply for the scholarship.
If the student is successful in applying for a scholarship, he/she will attain the below financial support:
- An annual stipend of €18,500
- A contribution to your tuition fees of up to €5,750 per year
- A contribution to your direct research expenses of €3,250 in a year.
Following is the list of other scholarships:
|NUI Galway International Students Scholarships||100% fee waiver+stipend of INR 13,60,257|
|Centenary Scholarship Programme||100% tuition fee waiver for a year|
|Fulbright Scholarship||Under two categories this scholarship is granted to research scholars and the amount ranges between INR 13-15 lakhs.|
|The Walsh Fellowship||PhD candidates can get NR 21,28,595 per year for the 4-year duration.|
PhD in Ireland would eventually prove beneficial for the international student as they may have in-depth knowledge of the research procedures and they would also possess practical experience throughout the process.
Some of the employment opportunities available after completion of the PhD in Ireland with respect to annual salary are listed below:
|Job role||Annual pay (in EUR)|
|Program and project management||56000|
|Healthcare and alternative medicine||53000|
|Executive management and change||74000|
|IT and Software Development||52000|
Cost of Living in Ireland
Ireland’s education system is world-class, with a distinctive and updated curriculum that is deserving of all praise. Given the numerous alternatives available, the expense of education in Ireland is fair.
For Indian students, the median cost of living in Ireland for one academic year is projected to be up to €12,000. Rent, food bills, energy, medicine, and other needs are all included. Ireland’s average cost of living is 220% more than India’s. Rent accounts for the majority of costs. The average rent in Ireland is over 700% greater than in India.
1) Accommodation cost ranges from €420 to €500. If you opt to live on campus, expect to pay between €300 and €600 per month.
2) A shared bedroom costs €350 per person. Renting a luxurious, private apartment might cost up to €850 per month.
Students acquiring campus accommodation in universities of Dublin may review the University College Dublin expenditure chart.
The average tuition fee of PhD in Ireland starts at €9,000 a year for international students, but certain courses may cost as high as €30,000 per year. The tuition fee of business studies and medicine is the most expensive in Ireland.
Yes, of course, international students could avail the opportunity to be part of research programmes in Ireland. Apart from this, they would also get a wonderful chance to do part-time jobs during their course of study. After the completion of the course, international students are eligible to apply for work permit therefore, they can stay there for 2 more years and build their careers.
The steps involved in the application process for PhD in Ireland are: Search for the university, contact the supervisor, apply and submit the application fee, submit all the documents (Visa, LOR, SOP, resume, etc), make a deposit and obtain the offer letter from the university.
We hope this blog has helped you to get a brief idea about PhD in Ireland and all the in-depth details regarding the same. If you are interested in getting admission to the best international universities then you can visit our website at Leverage edu.