To study abroad, clearing the English language exam is mandatory. TOEFL is a globally accepted English language Test. The TOEFL iBT test examines a candidate’s reading, listening, speaking, and writing skills. Students who want to study abroad can take this examination to meet the required English language scores of the university. The TOEFL exam is conducted for a duration of 2 hours. However, a candidate must prepare for 2.5 hours as 30 minutes extra is required for checking in to the exam centre. Keep reading to learn more about the TOEFL exam and how long for TOEFL speaking intro is.
This Blog Includes:
TOEFL Test Section Overview
The TOEFL iBT test consists of 4 main sections. That is, the reading section, listening, writing, and speaking sections. Here we have provided the estimated timings, questions asked, and general description of the same. Students can also check out how long for TOEFL speaking intro is.
|Section||Number of Questions||Timing||Description|
|Listening||28 questions||36 minutes||Answer questions about brief lectures or classroom discussions.|
|Writing||29 minutes||2 tasks||Read a passage, listen to a recording, and type your response. Support your opinion in a discussion|
|Reading||35 minutes||20 questions||Read passages and respond to questions.|
|Listening||36 minutes||28 questions||Answer questions about brief lectures or classroom discussions.|
|Speaking||16 minutes||4 tasks||Talk about a familiar topic and discuss material you read and heard.|
TOEFL iBT Speaking Section
The TOEFL iBT speaking section is meant to measure the ability of the student to speak English fluently. Hence, learning How long for TOEFL speaking intro is important. Mainly 4 primary questions are asked that resemble the real-life situations a candidate can encounter. That is, both inside and outside the classroom.
- Question 1: Independent Speaking Task: It required a student to respond to the question based on his/her ideas, opinions, and experiences
- Questions 2–4: Integrated Speaking Tasks. It requires a candidate to combine the English language skills. That is, the speaking/listening, reading/speaking skills. It is similar to how a candidate will use the language inside and outside a classroom
- Prep time: Prep time refers to the preparation time given to a student. It is usually around 45 to 60 seconds long.
- Scoring: Additionally, the speaking tests are scored on the basis of the speaking scoring guidelines (Rubrics). Generally, the raw scores are converted to a scaled section score between 0-30.
Also Read: TOEFL Speaking Topics
5 Winning Strategies for TOEFL Speaking Success
Here are 5 tips that a student can use to secure a good TOEFL score. TOEFL speaking session is very important as it assesses the speaking ability of the candidate. The speaking section scores add to the overall score.
- Know the TOEFL test structure completely (100%). For example, learn How long for TOEFL speaking intro
- To improve the language, communicate regularly with native speakers
- For preparation, record yourself to check out your speaking skills
- Give clear reasons and support your answers during the exam
- Master transition words and use adverbs/adjectives to add complexity to your language
Also Read: TOEFL Sample Speaking Questions
It is important to understand the basics of the TOEFL speaking test to secure a score between 20-24. By understanding it and working on the confidence level a student can get 23 or 24 score. However, a student needs to secure 26+ score. Then the student can work on several other skills.
Securing a TOEFL speaking score between 26-30 is a good score. A fair score is between 18-25 points. Therefore, 24 is not a good TOEFL speaking score.
Yes. TOEFL speaking is considered one of the most challenging parts of the TOEFL exam. Generally, the speaking task is found as challenging even by the native speakers. However, with practise a student can clear the TOEFL exam.