What is Unmarried Partner Visa UK? How to Apply for it?

4 minute read
Unmarried Partner Visa UK

The Unmarried Partner Visa UK is also known as the De Facto visa. It is a visa available to unmarried partners of a British citizen or individuals settled in Britain. However, the relationship must have lasted for 2 years. The Unmarried Partner visa is available to both heterosexual and same-sex relationships. The visa allows the unmarried partner to work and live in the UK for up to 33 months. Later on, the visa extension can be applied for. Keep reading to learn more about unmarried partner visas UK.

What is an Unmarried Partner Visa UK?

The unmarried partner visa UK is a visa that long-term partners (a minimum of 2 years relationship) of British citizens or British settlers can apply for. The visa allows the unmarried partner to live and work in the UK. As per the European Convention of Human Rights (Article 8), non-EEA nationals have the right to legally travel to the United Kingdom to live with their partner. The unmarried partner visa is granted for 33 months and is a part of the family visa application. Therefore, proof of the relationship needs to be provided.

Also Read: How to Get UK Business Visa?

Unmarried Partner Visa UK Eligibility

The eligibility criteria for the unmarried partner visa UK are as follows:

  • The sponsoring partner and the unmarried partner must be at least 18 years of age
  • Additionally, they must have intended to live together permanently
  • Information about the previous relationship of both partners must be provided
  • Must have proof (documentation) that the relationship has lasted for at least 2 years 
  • Additionally, both partners must have sufficient financial resources to support themselves and any dependents. Hence, they cannot claim public funds.
  • The unmarried settled partner or British citizen must be earning a minimum of  £18,600 per annum or savings to support the other partner. The financial requirements will increase if children are involved.
  • Moreover, suitable accommodation for both the unmarried partner and the dependents must be available
  • Additionally, the unmarried partner must meet the English language eligibility requirements 
  • Another condition is that the fiancé/ fiancée/ proposed civil partner must have the intention to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

Unmarried Partner Visa UK Duration

The unmarried partner visa is available for 33 months. That is if the partner is applying from overseas. However, if the application is made from the UK itself then the visa is available for 30 days. Further extension is available for an additional 30 months- 5 years. After spending 5 years on a probationary visa, it is possible to apply for an indefinite leave to remain in the UK. In such circumstances, the applicant must still be living with the partner in the UK.

Also Read: How to Write a Sponsorship Letter for Visa?

Unmarried Partner Visa UK Documents Required

The proof of the relationship has to be sent to receive an unmarried partner visa. However, the evidence must come from the government, landlord, bank, utility provider, or a medical professional. Additionally, the documents must confirm the relationship with the partner. For example, couple sharing expenses/civil partnership/married/share expenses. The following documentation can be presented as proof of receiving the unmarried partner visa UK documents.

  • Marriage certificate/civil partnership certificate
  • A bank statement from a joint bank account, or confirming that you live at the same address or pay bills together 
  • Letter from the doctor/dentist confirming that the couple lives at the same address 
  • a bank statement from a joint bank account

Also Read: How to Apply for Visa?

Other evidence Proof 

Several other documents can be used as evidence alternatives. However, in such cases, the likelihood of receiving the visa is less. The other proof of evidence is as follows:

  • Letter confirming that the partners are on the voting register for the same address
  • Student finance paperwork confirming that the partners live at the same address
  • a one-off bill. For example,  vet’s fees or home repair costs

However, travel tickets, social media messages, photographs, receipts, etc are not considered strong proof. Therefore, it might not be useful for the application.

Unmarried Partner Visa UK Application Process

The Unmarried Partner Visa UK application process is as follows:

  • The applicant must visit the official website of the UK government 
  • Next, the applicant must arrange the necessary documents and information required for the application
  • Later, the application process can be started by clicking on the link provided under the ‘Family visas: apply, extend or switch’ page.
  • Do note the link will be separate for applications within the UK, and outside the UK.

Visa Decision

The visa decision will be available for 24 weeks. The application decision is available within  8 weeks for applications within the UK. That is, for those who meet the eligibility requirements. On the other hand, those who didn’t meet the eligibility criteria and are applying from within the UK and haven’t met the income requirements will receive the decision on the visa within a year.


Can I bring my unmarried partner to UK?

Yes, if the eligibility requirements are met. Moreover, the couple must have proof of a minimum of 2 years of experience.

What evidence do I need for an unmarried partner UK?

A marriage certificate/civil partnership certificate and a bank statement from a joint bank account are some of the documentation proofs considered.

What is the financial requirement for an unmarried partner visa in UK?

A combined income of £18,600 a year per year is required as income. Applicants must meet the financial requirements to receive the unmarried partner visa UK.

We hope you now understand what an unmarried partner visa is, its requirements, the application process, etc. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below, or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu, and we will guide you on your dream journey!

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *