Aspirants who want to travel to the UK for work, study, tourism, visit, etc must apply for a UK visa. There are different types of UK visas as per the requirements of the candidates. Go through the guide below on how to apply for the visa, in order to know about when to apply for a UK Visa, the different types of visas, the application process, processing time, application fees, eligibility requirements and documents required to apply for UK Visa, etc.
Also Read: Types of UK Visa for India Students
This Blog Includes:
- Prepare to Apply for UK Visa
- Apply for UK Visa – Process
- Eligibility Requirements to Apply for a UK Visa
- Documents Required for UK Visa
- Apply for a UK Visa – Processing Time
- Fees to Apply for UK Visa
- UK Priority Visa Fees in Indian Rupees 2023
- Prove the Identity to Apply for a UK Visa
- UK Visa Application Denial
- UK Visa Extension
Prepare to Apply for UK Visa
Candidates aspiring to come to the UK must know how to apply for UK visa. There are different types of UK visas that they can apply for to travel to the UK.
When to Apply for this
Check below when to apply for the UK visa
- 3 months before the planned travel date for visit visas
- 3 months before the employment start date for most work visas
- 6 months before the course start date for Student and Child Student visas
Apply for UK Visa – Process
Check the steps to apply for UK visa given below:
Select the type of Visa to be Applied – Candidates are required to select the right visa depending on:
- Which country the candidate belongs to
- Reason for coming to the UK
- Estimated period of stay
- Individual’s circumstances and personal skills
Note: Irish citizens are not required to apply for a UK visa.
Visit the UK
If a candidate wants to visit the UK and stay for up to 6 months then he/she is required to apply for a standard visitor visa. The reasons for the visit could be:
- A holiday or to meet family and friends
- For a business trip or meeting
- For a short course of study
Note: If you want to go to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership then you require a marriage visitor visa.
Travel through UK
To pass through the UK in transit the candidates must apply for UK visa called the UK Transit visa. However, the candidates do not need a transit visa if they:
- Have an EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit
- Have a home office travel document
- Have a standard visitor visa
- Have a marriage visitor visa
Study in the UK
Factors such as course of study, type and also place of study affect which visa to apply for. Check below the types of visa given below that affect study visa:
- Standard Visitor Visa – Allows you to study a short course for up to 6 months.
- Short-Term Study Visa – Allows to study an english language course in UK which is more than 6 months but less than 11 months duration
- Student Visa- This visa allows you to both study and work in the UK you have been sponsored by a licenced college or university
- Child Student Visa – Candidates who are 4 to 17 years of age can study at an independent school in the UK. Candidates over 16 years of age can also work using this visa
Family Visa UK
A spouse, partner or family member of someone who has British citizenship or settlement in the UK can apply for a family visa in order to visit them. They may be required to apply for indefinite leave to remain after a certain period of time in the UK.
Eligibility Requirements to Apply for a UK Visa
In order to apply for a UK visa the aspirants must satisfy the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must have a passport valid for up to 6 months along with two blank pages.
- Proof of funds so that they can support themselves and their families in the UK
- Students should not have any criminal records
Documents Required for UK Visa
Check below the documents required to apply for UK visa:
- Passport size photographs
- Correctly filled application form
- Employment Proof
- Proof of academic studies
- Proof of funds
- Business Proof
- Invitation letter in case of visiting family and friends
Apply for a UK Visa – Processing Time
The processing time for UK Visa depends upon the type of application, the country from which you are applying for and also how the candidate is applying for the UK Visa. Candidates can choose the priority service while applying to get a decision within 5 working days. This requires to pay £500 along with the application fees. Other than this the candidates can also apply for “Super Priority Visa” by paying £1000 along with the application fees and get the decision by the next day or within 2 working days.
Fees to Apply for UK Visa
There is a fee for each type of UK visa. However, the fees remain the same for each family member. The UK visa fees depend upon the type of visa. The applicants will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge fees in addition to the application fees if they apply for the following types of visas:
- Study visa, work visa or family visa
- Applicants are planning to stay for more than 6 months
- They will not be living in the UK permanently
UK Priority Visa Fees in Indian Rupees 2023
The UK Priority Visa Fee is £500. That is, the UK Priority Visa Fees in Indian Rupees 2024 is approximately INR 52,819.55. Those who pay the priority fees can receive the result within 5 working days. Those who are eligible for the UK super priority visa can need to pay the UK super priority visa fee of £1,000 or 1,05,639.09. Under the super priority visa the applicant can receive the results within 2 working days.
Prove the Identity to Apply for a UK Visa
When the candidate applies for a UK visa he/she will need to prove their identity and submit the required documents to prove their eligibility. This depends on which country the candidate belongs to and also what type of passport they have. They will either:
- Go for an appointment at a visa application centre
- use the app of ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ on their mobile or desktop
UK Visa Application Denial
There are several reasons for the UK visa application denial. Some of these reasons for the visa refusal are missing documents, lack of finances, fraud, applying for the wrong visa type, overstaying a previous trip to UK, or having criminal records. In case a UK visa is denied, the applicant will be notified of the same. In case, the applicant feels the decision is unfair, he/she can appeal against the decision.
UK Visa Extension
The extension of the UK visa depends on the UK visa type. Therefore, the visa extension process can differ based on the visa type. In the case of a standard UK visitor visa, the applicant can apply for a visa extension. This is possible if the applicant has spent less than 6 months in the UK.
No, the application fees for a UK visa are not refundable even if it get rejected.
You can track the application for a UK visa online by visiting the official website.
The candidates can apply for the visa at least 3 months before their planned travel date.
There is no fixed minimum amount that has to be maintained in the accounts. However, the UK visa applicants must ensure that they have approximately £100- £150 amount per day (daily budget. The amount is needed as the UK is an expensive country to live in.
We hope you now understand how to apply for a UK visa, the processing time, the UK visa fees, etc. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below, or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu, and we will guide you on your dream journey!