The antonyms of “Build” are Demolish, Destroy, Dismantle, Raze or Wreck. To make an impression and get well-versed in vocabulary one should know at least a few antonyms of general words like “Build.”
“Build” is a word that is regularly used in general day-to-day communication. We come across this word at least once a day. Not just this we also use its antonyms quite frequently.
Meaning of Build
“Build” is a word that is used in everyday conversation. However, to make things simpler for you we will explain the meaning of this word in short. “Build” is a word that is used in everyday conversation. However, to make things simpler for you we will explain the meaning of this word in short.
“Build” means to construct or create something, typically a physical structure or system, by assembling various components or elements.
9+ Opposites of Build
Mentioned below are some words that can be used as antonyms to the word build:
Also Read: 300+ Antonyms
Usage with Examples
Given below are some examples of how the antonyms of “Build” can be used in a sentence:
- Demolish: The old factory was scheduled for demolition to make way for a new shopping center.
- Destroy: The hurricane’s strong winds and heavy rains threatened to destroy several houses along the coast.
- Dismantle: The mechanic had to dismantle the engine to repair a critical component.
- Raze: The decision was made to raze the abandoned building to the ground due to safety concerns.
- Wreck: The car accident left the vehicle badly wrecked, but thankfully, no one was injured.
- Demolition: The controlled demolition of the old bridge was a spectacle that drew a large crowd of onlookers.
- Flatten: The construction crew had to flatten the uneven ground before laying the foundation for the new house.
- Decommission: The nuclear power plant was decommissioned after years of service, and its reactors were shut down.
- Eradicate: The government’s goal is to eradicate poverty in the region by implementing various social programs.
- Dismantlement: The dismantlement of the old playground equipment was necessary to make room for the new play area.
Antonyms of Build Quiz
What is the antonym of “build”?
a) Create b) Demolish c) Repair d) Renovate
Answer: b) Demolish
Which word is the opposite of “build”?
a) Construct b) Dismantle c) Develop d) Strengthen
Answer: b) Dismantle
This was all about the antonym of “Build” meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.