Some common examples of the word advance are decline, setback, and regression. The term advance refers to the action of moving forward and excelling in life. Let us know more about the word advance its meaning, origin, antonyms, and usage with examples in the article blog below.
Origin and Meaning of Advance
The word advance originated from the Old French word “avancier” which means to”move forward,” and from a Late Latin root word, abante, derived “from before.”
The meaning of the word advance can be understood in different ways:
- To move forward in a purposeful manner.
- It is used for development or improvement
- Make or cause to make advancement
Also Read: 110+ Antonyms
7+ Opposites of Advance
Let’s take a look at the following opposites of advance to expand your understanding of the word:
Antonyms of Advance Examples With Usage
The term advance is often objective and can vary depending on the context and perspective of the speaker.
Let us understand the following examples of using the antonyms of advance in a sentence:
- Decline: As my sister was growing old her health declined.
- Setback: Rahul Singh has experienced a serious setback in his career.
- Regression: Rote Learning can cause regression in the pupil’s learning.
- Recession: The recession has caused a drop in salaries.
- Pullback: My goals are to push forward not pullback.
- Return: She is returning back from the UK.
- Cutback: The shortage of money has led to cutbacks.
Must Read: Antonyms of Demand, with Meaning & Examples
Antonyms of Advance Quiz
1. Select the most appropriate antonym for the word advance.
2. Which word is not the opposite of the word advance?
Explore More Exciting Reads Below
This was all about the antonym of “Advance” meaning and examples. Hope you are well versed with the term advance and its usage. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.