Knowing the extensive list of antonyms can help us to discern the meaning of unfamiliar words. Let’s try to comprehend the opposites of believe to improve our English proficiency. Some of the opposites of believe are reject, doubt, suspect, and disbelieve.
Etymology and Meaning of Believe
The word believe originated from the Old English words “belyfan, geleafa, gelefa, gelyfan” which means “to have faith or confidence”.So, the word believe means to accept something as genuine, true, or real.
5+ Opposites of Believe
Let’s delve deep to understand the opposites of belief. They are listed below:
Antonyms of Believe Examples With Usage
The term believe is often objective and can vary depending on the context and perspective of the speaker.
Let us understand the following examples of using the antonyms of believing in a sentence:
- Reject: The boss rejected my proposal.
- Doubt: Soham was full of doubt and fear.
- Suspect: The police arrested the suspect.
- Disbelief: My boss stared at her in disbelief.
- Distrust: Mohit has a distrust of foreigners.
- Uncertain: It is uncertain that I will be on leave tomorrow.
Must Read: Antonyms of Captive Meaning and Examples
Antonyms of Strange Quiz
1. Select the most appropriate antonym for the believe.
2. Which word is the antonym of the believe?
Explore More Exciting Reads Below
This was all about the antonym of “believe” meanings and examples. Hope you understand the term believe and its usage. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.