Mythology has been an inseparable part of India. With historically rich and diverse cultures, tales and whatnot, the field definitely piques the curiosity of many individuals and young minds. If you also have wondered about these ancient tales, epics, creation of the universe and studies about gods then mythology studies would definitely interest you. And if you wish to know more about how to become a mythologist in India, continue reading the blog.
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Mythologist?
A mythologist is an expert or a highly knowledgeable person in the field of mythology and possesses the ability to skillfully write myths. Mythology is a body or collection of myths belonging to people or addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors and heroes.
Also Read: Cultural Anthropology
What Does a Mythologist Do?
The following are the roles and responsibilities of a mythologist:
- They conduct research and studies to provide an explanation of myths or legends whether natural or cultural
- Some mythologists also oversee scholarly project work for validation and verification. They examine various mythic traditions, narratives and symbolic systems from different cultures and societies
- Mythologists also conduct a deep analysis of the themes, motifs and archetypes present in myths and often participate in exploring their cultural, spiritual and psychological significance
- Their job also includes delving into primary and secondary sources to gather information about myths, cultures, ancient texts, folklore and traditions
- Exploring the cultural, historical and geographical context in which the myths emerge and often take into consideration the religious practices, environmental influences and social structure to get a deeper understanding of how myths function within a specific society
How to Become a Mythologist?
The following are the steps to becoming a mythologist:
It is recommended to pursue social sciences and humanities subjects in your secondary-level education. This will help you to develop the basic and basal knowledge about various aspects in the history
For the undergraduate degree program, there are very few mythology-specific courses. Thus, you can choose to study a relative course such as Literature, Sociology, History, Anthropology, Linguistics, Archeology and many more
For the postgraduate level of study, you can choose more specific courses that focus on fields like cultural studies, folklore, myths of creation, Hindu myths epics and more
Field of Study
Next, you would shift focus to research work conducted during your doctoral degree programs where you would be required to present your dissertation in front of a jury and you can also seek funding to continue your research work depending on your field of study related to mythology.
After completing your education, you can seek job opportunities in a wide range of fields such as becoming a folklore researcher, literature professor, ethnomusicologist, etc in colleges, institutes, government organizations or non-profits
Also Read: English Literature Courses
Top Universities for Mythology
The following are the top universities to study mythology or related courses:
|University||Avg. Tuition Fees|
|Christ University||59K – 1L|
|Aligarh Muslim University||20K – 2.4L|
|University of Lucknow||16K – 24K|
|Banaras Hindu University||3K – 10K|
|University of Madras||500 – 16K|
|University of Mumbai||300 – 6K|
Best Mythology Courses
The following are the best online and certification Mythology courses:
- Greek and Roman Mythology – University of Pennsylvania
- Magic in Middle Ages – Universitat de Barcelona
- Old Norse Mythology in the Sources – University of Colorado Boulder
- The Ancient Greeks – Wesleyan University
- Introduction to Ancient Egypt and its Civilization – University of Pennsylvania
Some other courses to look at are as follows:
- Irish Mythology
- The Lost Goddess – An Exploration of Herstory
- Nordic Mythology and the Vikings
- Introduction to the Study of Myth
- Mythology 101
- Animal Myths and Legends in Finnish Folklore
Scope of Mythology
The scope of Mythology is quite extensive and diverse in India. India is a country of rich and culturally diverse history and heritage that encompasses many ancient mythological tales. In simpler terms, branches of mythology are extended in the context of culture, literature and artistic traditions in various parts of India. There is a huge religious significance of mythology primarily in Hinduism with texts including manuscripts and scriptures such as Vedas, Purans and Upanishads which depict tales of gods, the universe etc. Mythology plays a vital role in India’s cultural identity as it is an inseparable part of Indian life including rituals, traditions, arts, music, festivals, literature, and dances. In the historical context as well, the literature and epics of India have been the symbol of ancient teachings. The two greatest epics of India, Mahabharata and Ramayana have been the legendary narratives that have captured people’s interest from all over the world for centuries.
Also Read: PhD Music
Jobs and Salary
Once you have completed your education in the field of mythology or folklore studies you can seek a wide range of job opportunities depending on your degree, field of interest or aptitude. Some of the most pursued jobs in the field of mythology are:
- Folklorists: They study the aspects of folk culture and work to preserve it. They are mainly employed at museums, university settings and in non-profit organizations. The focus is generally on a particular region, a particular group of people with a common issue or belief or a type of artefact.
- Ethnomusicologist – Music has been an integral part of folklore. An Ethnomusicologist is an individual who studies music in a social context. Students can pursue ethnomusicology in a master’s degree and doctoral degree as well. In their PhD, students would be required to conduct research and teach the findings within the ethnomusicology.
- Literature Professor – Since the study of mythology shares cells with literature becoming a literature professor is another great option that one can consider. They could seek employment at community colleges, universities, liberal arts institutes etc.
Mythology is a body or collection of myths belonging to people or addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors and heroes.
The following are the roles and responsibilities of a mythologist:
1. They conduct research and studies to provide an explanation of myths or legends whether natural or cultural
2. Some mythologists also oversee scholarly project work for validation and verification. They examine various mythic traditions, narratives and symbolic systems from different cultures and societies
3. Mythologists also conduct a deep analysis of the themes, motifs and archetypes present in myths and often participate in exploring their cultural, spiritual and psychological significance
The following are the top universities in India where you can study mythology:
Aligarh Muslim University
University of Mumbai
University of Lucknow
We hope that this blog has provided you with relevant information on how to become a mythologist. And if you wish to study abroad, contact Leverage Edu for full assistance. You can also call us at 1800572000 and book a free session today!