A medical leave application is written by a student to the principal or the teacher asking for permission to take a leave due to poor health. Informing the principal or a teacher about taking a leave is important as it not only makes the designated authorities aware of the absence of the student but also instils a sense of behaving responsibly in a student. While writing a medical leave application, a student should use a formal tone throughout the application and instead of informing about the absence, the student should request for a leave along with stating the reason for it. Read this blog further to learn important tips, formats and samples that will help you write an effective medical leave application for school.
This Blog Includes:
Tips to Write Medical Leave Application for School
Students should keep certain things in mind while writing a medical application for school in order to write a clear and coherent application. Mentioned below are some tips that will help a student write an effective medical application:
- Avoid adding redundant information and be coherent and to the point throughout the application.
- Maintain the flow of the application in order to avoid any confusion.
- As it is a formal application maintain a polite and formal tone.
- State the reason for the leave and support if with the help of a medical certificate/prescription issued by your healthcare provider.
- Once you have written the application go through it again in order to ensure that grammar and spellings are correct and also if there is a need to omit any non-relevant information.
- Calculate the days you will be needing leave according to your health condition and don’t forget to mention it in the application.
While writing a formal application like a medical application for school it is important to follow the appropriate format in order to write an effective application. The following points briefly discuss the format which you should refer to while writing a medical application for school:
- Date – First you need to mention the date of the day you would be sending the application to your principal or teacher. The date should be written at the top left corner of the sheet.
- Address – After mentioning the date you need to write the address of the school along with addressing the designated authorities. Just like the date, the address should be written on the left-hand side of the sheet, aligned with the margin.
- Subject – The next step is to write the subject of the application. Make sure that the subject should summarise the purpose of your application in 4 to 5 words. Every word in the subject should be capitalised and also after writing the subject, underline it in order to highlight it.
- Greeting/Salutation – It refers to addressing the designated authority with a term of endearment. Since it is a formal application, make sure that you use words like ‘Respected’ or ‘Dear’ followed by the word ‘principal’ or ‘teacher’.
- Body – The body of the application should contain all the important information like the days you will be absent and the day you will come back. In addition to this, it should also have the reason behind your leave. Make sure that the text body does not contain any redundant information and it should be brief and to the point.
- Attachments (if any) – At the end, after writing all the necessary information, if you have a medical certificate issued by your doctor then mention it and attach the same with your application as it will strengthen the reason behind your leave.
- Sign off – The last step is to sign off by giving regards followed by your name, class and roll no. Since it is a formal application you should sign off the application with words like “ Yours sincerely”, “Yours faithfully” or “Yours truly”.
Also Read: Leave Application Format
Samples of Medical Leave Application for School
It is always a good idea to refer to samples while writing an application as it will help you get an idea of the format and writing style to write an effective application. Mentioned below are the two samples of medical leave applications for school which you can refer to while writing the application:
Application for one day’s leave
|18 August 2023
Address of the School
Subject: Approval for Leave Due to Medical Reasons
I (your name) am writing this application to bring to your attention that I am not in a condition to attend school today as I am suffering from a fever. Therefore, I would like to request you to please grant me leave for today.
Application for more than one day’s absence
|18 August 2023
Address of the School
Subject: Approval for Leave Due to Poor Health
I (Your name) am writing this application to ask for your approval for leave as I am suffering from food poisoning. My doctor has advised me to take leave for 3 days in order to recuperate well. Therefore, I would like you to grant me leave from 18th August 2023 to 20th August 2023. For your reference, I am attaching the medical certificate issued by my doctor stating my health condition.
I would be really grateful if you consider my request and grant me leave.
(Class and Section)
Must Read: Formal Letter – Format, Types and Samples
In order to apply for medical leave in school, you need to write a formal application addressing designated authorities. You can refer to the format and samples mentioned in this blog to write an effective medical leave application for school.
Medical leave can be taken due to various health issues such as fever, cold and cough, diarrhoea, etc. It mainly pertains to illnesses.
A formal letter is one that adheres to a particular prescribed structure and is written in an orderly, formal style. These letters are exclusively prepared for official purposes; examples include letters to managers, HR managers, employees, college or school principals, teachers, etc.
This was everything about the medical leave application for school! To read more informative articles like this one, keep following Leverage Edu.