EDP full form is Electronic Data Processing. It is concerned with how commercial data operations are carried out, how storage records are handled, and how computers are utilised to electronically convey information from a sheet into an electronic format. It was created with the term DP (data processing) in mind. It’s the same as MIS (Management Information System or Service) or IS (Information System or Service)
EDP Processing Levels
The three levels of processing of EDP (full form electronic data processing) are as follows.
- Before data is entered into a system, it is processed by keyboards, scanners, digitizers, and other input devices.
- Information is managed by software programmes, which frequently include translation, code implementation, equations, authentication, and other processes.
- Following processing, the information is delivered to the customer in the form of audio, reports, video, and so on.
Brief History of EDP
- In 1951, the LEO (Lyons Electronic Office) developed and built the first commercial business system in the United Kingdom.
- Real-time commercial information preparation was difficult and time-consuming.
- At the time, data could only be inputted using punch cards or tapes for input processing. The output of these punchcards should be used only when necessary.
- Independent enterprises, specifically data processing technologies, developed the technology at first.
- With the invention of microprocessors, it became possible to execute and process data digitally using low-cost desktop computers, and punch cards ceased to operate.
Benefits of EDP
- EDP can retrieve data that has been efficiently stored and arranged.
- It enables the rapid and automatic preparation of summary documents such as reports, invoices, and statements.
- EDP organises and arranges information at a lower long-term overall cost.
- Errors such as duplicate entries in the EDP significantly reduce or eliminate job duplication.
- EDP collects accurate data, and the EDP tool validates it.
- It has several storage options, including primary and supplementary memory.
- The EDP system avoids social labour for the main part of the process.
Different Elements of Data Processing
EDP (Full form Electronic data processing) have different elements like hardware, software, procedures, and personnel
- Personal Computers
- Cash registers
- Medical devices
- Data Entry Software
- Scheduling Software
- Analytics Software
- Accounting Software
- Data capture
- Data conversion
- Data Validation
- Data entry specialists
Must Read: What is the Full Form of KPO?
Must Read: What is the Full Form of DCA in Computer?
We hope this information helped you to understand EDP Full Form. For more updates like these, you can check our page.