The full form of MGNREGA is Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act. It is the Indian government’s rural employment guarantee scheme. MGNREGA’s scheme is known as the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS). MGNREGA was passed by the Indian parliament on August 23, 2005, and went into force on February 2, 2006. In 2009, the scheme was renamed MGNREGA. It has been operating successfully for over 16 years, employing all rural households in India.
Objectives of MGNREGA
Here are some of the key adjectives of MGNREGA:
- To give paid rural employment for at least 100 days to rural residents who volunteer for unskilled labour
- To build long-lasting assets in rural regions such as ponds, roads, wells, and canals
- Reducing migration from rural to urban areas
- To build a rural infrastructure using untapped rural manpower
- Panchayati Raj Institutions should be given authority.
Eligibility for MGNREGA
The MGNREGA qualifying criteria are maintained minimal so that the scheme can assist the greatest number of rural people.
- The individual must be an Indian citizen.
- He must be at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- Applicant must be a member of a local household or apply to the local Gram Panchayat.
- The applicant should be prepared to perform unskilled labour.
What is MNREGA Job Card?
- It is the primary document used to identify people who have registered with their local Gram Panchayat under MGNERGA.
- It holds information about registered users such as their registration number, name, and other information about their local Gram Panchayat.
- The rural populace uses this job card to apply for paid jobs with their Gram Panchayat in their communities.
- It promotes transparency in the workplace and decreases the likelihood of fraud.
- Apart from that, MGNERGA JC can be used for a variety of other purposes, such as completing KYC at banks and post offices when opening bank accounts.
Importance of MGNREGA
The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act is significant in a number of ways. The following are the reasons for its significance:
- Rural Development
- Handling Water Scarcity
- Empowering women
- Reducing urban-rural migration
- Providing support in uncertainties
- Creating durable assets
Must Read: What is the Full Form of IPO?
Must Read: What is the Full Form of LOML?
We hope this has helped you to gain information about MGNREGA. Do you want to know more full forms like this? In the world of short forms, you can rely on our page to know more! Get in touch with our study abroad experts to achieve your international dream today!