The full form of CRY is Child Rights and You. It is an Indian non-governmental organisation that aims to ensure children’s rights. Rippan Kapur, who worked for Indian Airlines at the time, founded CRY in 1979.
CRY operates in 19 states across India and has influenced the lives of nearly 3 million children. CRY’s mission is to meet the needs of children by collaborating with parents, teachers, Anganwadi workers, communities, state-level organisations, and even districts.
Brief About CRY
CRY works on changing habits and attitudes at the grassroots level, as well as indirectly affecting citizens on a systemic level, so that children are prioritised.
CRY also took part in the National Alliance for the Fundamental Right to Education’s (NAFRE) Voice of India campaign. CRY used this to ensure that every kid receives free and compulsory education, which contributed to the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act of 2009.
Apart from that, CRY has been participating in a number of other worldwide venues that advocate for children’s rights. Girls Not Bride and the National Action and Coordination Group for Ending Violence Against Children (NACG-EVAC) were two programmes that CRY supported at the time.
Key Areas of CRY
- Education (Right To Development)
- Health & Nutrition (Right To Survival)
- Safety & Protection (Right To Protection)
- Child Participation (Right To Participation)
Impact of CRY
CRY has impacted around 6.8 lakh (680,000) disadvantaged children in India in 2019-20.
- In CRY project regions, 1,63,541 children aged 6 to 18 are enrolled in school.
- 97% of children under the age of one year in CRY programme areas were immunised.
- 88% of children under the age of five in CRY programme regions are malnourished-free.
- 2,064 children were rescued from child work, child marriage, and child trafficking in CRY project regions.
Also Read: Full form of PRD
Hope now you know all about the full form of CRY. Visit the General Knowledge page to discover more intriguing articles like these.