Process Engineers are recruited by manufacturing, oil and petrochemical, chemical and biotechnology companies. The main role of a process engineer is to increase efficiency by improving the production and quality output of processing plants through effective practices and solutions that are innovative. The responsibility for the functioning of methods, systems and equipment lies on the shoulders of a process engineer.
Are you also wishing to pursue a career in process engineering? If your answer is yes, then this blog will surely help you by providing important information related to this career path.
This Blog Includes:
Who is a Process Engineer?
A process engineer plays an important role in the manufacturing department across various industries such as chemical, lifestyle, agriculture, etc. Their main work is to help transform raw materials into finished products. As the demand for the products of a company increases, the process engineers through their knowledge help the organisation to increase efficiency in their production process. The technical work of a process engineer involves keeping a check on important indices, designing equipment, handling processes and analysing large amounts of data related to manufacturing. A process engineer works closely with designers and industrial manufacturers to create innovative products and materials that are also cost-effective.
Also Read: Best Engineering Courses
Roles and Responsibilities of a Process Engineer
A process engineer is a professional who is well-versed in methods, equipment and systems which are being deployed in the manufacturing process to turn the raw materials into final products for consumers. They ensure that the operations related to production are carried out smoothly and there are no issues with the functioning of plants and factories. Mentioned below are some of the tasks of a process engineer:
- To improve the production process, a process manager analyses every detail and step involved in production to cut costs and improve efficiency.
- Keeping a record in the form of paperwork that signifies compliance with the safety protocols.
- Doing research and providing assistance with pricing and the purchase of the new equipment.
- Keeping a check on equipment by maintaining and testing them which includes consistent examination of the equipment to ensure they comply with the standards prescribed.
- As per the requirements of the production process, designing new equipment and working again on the flow of the process in the factory.
Must Read: Best Engineering Colleges in the World
Every profession requires the candidate aiming for that field to have a certain skill set so that they are able to carry out their roles and responsibilities efficiently. Following is the list of skills required to excel in the field of process engineering:
- Communication skills – To interact with technicians, other engineers and management, a process engineer needs to have excellent communication skills so that they can make their views easily understandable to them. They also need to have the ability to actively engage with the suggestions of other people so that they are able to improve efficiency.
- Software knowledge – The process of optimisation is done through software programs, therefore, it is important for a program engineer to be well-versed with programs like SOLIDWORKS (computer-aided engineering program) and MATLAB (mathematical software that analyses data, develops algorithms and creates models and applications). Being literate in these software programs can help process engineer perform their roles and responsibilities better.
- Machine knowledge – One of the most important tasks of a process engineer is to ensure the smooth functioning of equipment. Therefore, it becomes extremely important that they know everything about each and every aspect of the machinery which entails their repair and maintenance as well.
- Analytical skills – In order to optimise the production process, the process engineer is constantly engaged in reviewing and revising the system which helps in increasing efficiency. A process engineer analyses each and every part of the production to rectify the flaws in the process and suggest better ways.
- Mathematical skills – A process engineer spends a lot of time daily working with data and performing calculations to optimise processes. For minor adjustments, a process engineer performs calculations which often result in significant changes. Therefore, process engineers must possess mathematical skills in order to carry out their duties efficiently.
Steps-By-Step Guide to Become a Process Engineer
In order to become a process engineer follow the step-by-step guide mentioned below:
Step – 1: Identify the skills – In order to excel in the field of process engineering a candidate should possess certain skills which entail communication, mathematical, analytical and collaborative skills. In addition to this, a candidate should also have creative and organisational skills. Coming to technical skills, a process engineer should be well versed in the following things – MATLAB, Aspen HYSYS, SOLIDWORKS, AutoCAD, HAZOP, C++, G&P, FEED, and P&ID.
Step – 2: Courses to Pursue – Firstly students need to complete 10 + 2 in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics from a recognised board in India with at least 50% marks. Students then need to pursue higher education by taking up a course in the relevant field. Mentioned below are the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees that one can pursue in order to become a process engineer:
|Bachelor’s Degree Programs||Master’s Degree Programs|
|B.E. in Chemical Engineering||M.E. in Chemical Engineering|
|B.Tech in Industrial Engineering and Management||M.Tech in Manufacturing Engineering|
|B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering||M.Tech in Industrial Engineering and Management|
|B.Tech in Industrial Engineering||M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering|
|B.Tech in Manufacturing Technology||M.Tech in Industrial Engineering|
|B.Tech in Chemical Engineering||M.Tech in Chemical Engineering|
Step – 3: Specialised Certification – Pursuing specialised certifications can help an individual gain more knowledge and improve their skills. Mentioned below are some of the certificate courses a process engineer can pursue to improve their skills:
- CFD a Professional Approach to Solve Industrial Problems V.1
- Six Sigma
- Certified Manufacturing Engineer (CMfgE)
Step – 4: Make an Impressive Resume – It is an important part of one’s professional journey to make an impressive resume which should showcase their achievements, interests, work experience, skills and specialised certifications that they have earned.
Step – 5: Internships – Taking up internship opportunities can be a great way to gain work experience which further impresses the employers to hire the individual for the job. It is important to note here that one should always focus on doing internships in their field as it increases their chances of getting a job in the future.
Step – 6: Finding jobs and preparing for interviews – The final step is to look for job opportunities on various job boards like LinkedIn, Naukri, Indeed, Hirect, etc. Once the candidate gets a call from HR for the interview they should immediately start preparing for the same to get the job.
Top Recruiters of Process Engineers and Salary Offered
Irrespective of the field one belongs to, an individual should always aim for working at top recruiting companies for better salary and growth. Mentioned below are some of the top recruiting companies for process engineers:
|Company Name||Average Annual Salary (in INR)|
|Reliance Industries Ltd.||11.41 Lakh|
|Jacob Engineering Group Inc.||6.07 Lakh|
|Asahi India Glass Ltd.||4.68 Lakh|
|VA Tech Wabag Ltd.||4.53 Lakh|
|Biozeen||3.1 – 3.7 Lakh|
|Wells Fargo Bank||13 Lakh|
Source: Glassdoor and AmbitionBox
Also Read: How to Answer Common Interview Questions?
A. A process engineer is responsible for designing equipment and processes for the manufacturing process and keeping a check on equipment through regular monitoring and maintenance. The main work of a process engineer is to optimise the production process in order to increase efficiency.
A. As per the data of AmbitionBox, the salary of a senior-level process engineer ranges between INR 3.6 to 21 Lakh while their average annual salary is estimated to be INR 7.4 Lakh.
A. From ideation to certification it is the job of a process engineer to develop, construct and optimise the production process. They should also be good at time management and reducing the costs of the processes.
We hope you found this blog informative and cleared all your doubts related to the career path of a process engineer. To read more articles like this, keep following Leverage Edu!