Maanki Scholarships for undergraduate and postgraduate students are open for 2024. Full tertiary scholarships are given to international students who meet the eligibility requirements to study at a New Zealand educational institution or a Pacific university. Indian students are eligible to apply for the Maanaki scholarships. Those wanting to enroll in a Masters degree (1-2 years), Postgraduate Diploma (1 year), Postgraduate Certificate (6 months), or a PhD (3.5 years) can apply before the deadline. The last date for applications is on 29 February 2024. The scholarship beneficiaries will have to commence their studies from Semester 1, 2025.
Maanaki Scholarship Eligibility Requirements for Indian Students
To apply for the Maanaki Scholarship for undergraduate and postgraduate students meeting the eligibility criteria is essential. The eligibility criteria for the Maanaki Scholarship are as follows:
- The applicant must be at least 18 years of age or older. There is no upper age limit. However, those below the age of 40 are given priority for the scholarship.
- Mature undergraduate applicants and postgraduate students must have work experience. The work can be unpaid/paid/voluntary. That is, the student must have 1 year of full-time work experience or 2 years of part-time work experience.
- The scholarship applicant must demonstrate an intent to contribute to their home country. For this reason, the applicant must be residing in the home country for 2 years before the application.
- The successful applicant must meet the academic and English language proficiency requirements of the university.
- The PhD applicant must look for a supervisor at the time of application. They have to secure a supervisor or must be in active discussion to get the scholarship
- Meet the English language requirement set by the university. Generally, a postgraduate student must have an IELTS score of 6.5 or a TOEFL score of 90. Only shortlisted candidates need to present their scores.
- Those who have already received the scholarship, and are within the stand-down period (2 years after obtaining the scholarship) are not eligible to apply for another scholarship.
Maanaki Scholarship Benefits for Selected Students
The Maanaki Scholarship for undergraduate and postgraduate students is as follows. Selected students will receive these benefits.
- The scholarship covers the entire tuition fee of the applicant and grants a living allowance of NZ$531 per week.
- Moreover, an establishment allowance of NZ$1000 is also given.
- The institution will provide students taking the course online with a living allowance based on the living expenses of the country.
- Students studying in New Zealand for more than 1.5 years are permitted to visit their home country. Moreover, the expenses for the same will be borne by the scholarship provider.
- Additionally, an amount of NZ$1000 is given to cover the reintegration expenses.
The selection committee chooses beneficiaries based on their academic ability, commitment towards the home country, age (39 or younger), and the chosen course of study, among other criteria.