The Québec Government merit scholarship is now open for international students. The aim of the scholarship is to support the internationalization of research activities in Quebec institutions of higher education, promote Québec universities and College Centres for the Transfer of Technologies (CCTT), and attract the best international students. Another goal is to create a cultural link and pave the way for setting up joint scientific research projects.
Therefore the Québec Government merit scholarship is open to international students from any country. Doctoral research scholarships (12 months), postdoctoral scholarships (1 year), and short-term research or professional development scholarships (4 months) are available to eligible students. Interested students can apply for the scholarship before the deadline.
Québec Government Merit Scholarship Eligibility
The Québec Government Merit Scholarship is open to researchers or students from any research sector. That is health, humanities and social sciences, arts and letters, natural sciences, and engineering. However, to apply for the scholarship they must meet the following eligibility criteria.
- The applicant must not be a permanent resident/citizen of Canada
- The applicant must pursue studies or research activities at a Québec university in a doctoral or postdoctoral fellowship program or as a part of a short-term research stay or professional development program
Québec Government Merit Scholarship Benefits
The benefits of the Québec Government Merit Scholarship are as follows:
- The doctoral research scholarship of $25,000 a year, and a monthly allowance of $1,000. Moreover, the doctoral research scholarship is applicable for 12 months extension
- Postdoctoral scholarship of up to $35,000 for one year. However, this scholarship is not renewable
- Short-term research/professional development scholarship of $3,000 a month.
- Additionally, the scholarship beneficiaries are exempted from paying the higher tuition fees, and medical insurance coverage provided by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
Students who are preselected by a Québec university, the China Scholarship Council (CSC), Synchronex, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico (SRE), or the National Council on Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) can apply. Interested students must create an account in the FRQnet system and submit the essential documents before the deadline.