From 30th January 2024 onwards, a new application form for study permit extension will be available. Candidates applying on or after this date should apply using the new form (IMM 5709). Applications using the old version will not be accepted.
If the Candidate’s school is no longer on the list of Designated Learning Institutions
Then the candidates can either:
- Keep studying until their current study permit expires
- Transfer to other DLI
If they want to extend their study permit, they must enroll at a school with DLI status.
If the candidates are planning to leave Canada after or before they have applied for a study permit extension then they will be allowed to renter only when:
- They have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction showing that they were approved for a study permit
- They have a valid travel document
If the candidate’s enrolment has been deferred:
If the candidates have been deferred their enrolment and the DLI that issued a letter of acceptance is not designated before they start studying they cannot start studying at that school.
- If the candidates are in Canada with a valid study permit they will be required to:
- Apply and be accepted at a new DLI
- Update the information about their learning institution in MyAccount
- If the study permit has been approved but has not been issued yet:
- They will be sent a request to provide a new letter of acceptance from a new DLI
- Once the study permit has been approved they will be required to update the information about their learning institution in MyAccount.
How to Apply for Study Permit Extension?
Check below the steps to apply for Study Permit extension:
- Candidates can apply online for a study permit extension. Before starting to apply they must ensure to keep all things ready such as a scanner or camera and debit or credit cards.
- Check the instructions guide before applying
- Prepare answers for the online tool to create a document checklist
- Check the required fees to be paid
- Sign in or create an online account