Duolingo Speaking Practice: The Duolingo Speaking Sample Test can indeed be a formidable obstacle for DET test takers, necessitating the ability to express oneself fluently and eloquently on impromptu topics. The section throws curveballs in the form of unexpected topics and themes, demanding both oral and written responses within time constraints.
Unprepared candidates or those lacking confidence in their spoken English may find themselves floundering. Therefore, thorough familiarisation with potential Duolingo Speaking topics is crucial. Practicing both sample questions and mock tests provides invaluable insights into the diverse question types, varying difficulty levels, and the overall rhythm of the section. That being said, read the article to know more about the exam.
|Name of Exam
|Duolingo English Test
|Number of Attempts
|3 (within a month)
This Blog Includes:
10+ Duolingo English Test Speaking Topics 2024
The Duolingo English Speaking Section often befuddles and challenges students to the point where they stumble to come up with even half-decent answers. This is why it is so crucial for Duolingo test takers to keep abreast of the most common or popular Duolingo speaking topics. Having a relative familiarity with the common speaking topics can be beneficial for many test takers.
Such a sort of familiarity not only bolsters one’s confidence in tackling questions but also gives them hope that acing the section is not an unattainable task. That being said, here are some of the most common Duolingo speaking topics that you must prepare for to ace your speaking test.
Sample Questions (with answers)
Duolingo sample questions: Here are some sample questions that you can practice to ace your Duolingo speaking test. Go through them to understand how you can phrase your response to make it more coherent, articulate, and comprehensible to the listener.
Question: Describe an art of craft activity you did when you were in school.
Ans: I participated in a painting competition in school. That was my first hands-on experience doing art and crafts, and that too on a competitive level. The experience was enthralling and to some extent, cathartic for me. At the time, I was going through some personal issues, and doing art helped me ease my tension and also convey my emotions.
After that event, I indulged myself more into art. At one point, I even realized how art makes me feel emancipated from all my worries and anxiety. It makes me feel in control. Today, I tend to make art whenever I get a chance. In a way, that competition was a big event for me as it made me realize a lot about myself.
Question- Describe a small business you wish to have in the future.
Ans: Shortly, I hope to create my restaurant franchise. The hospitality industry has always piqued my interest. I’ve always wanted to work in an industry where I could make people happy by cooking for them. To understand the nuances of working in the industry better, I even pursue my higher education in the domain of hotel management.
Furthermore, I worked with a chain of restaurants for some time. This gave me enough experience and ideas about how to open my own chain of restaurants. I aspire to make use of such experience to create a lucrative business that is not only profitable to me but to my team as well.
Question- Describe a childhood toy that was special to you.
Ans: I still recall my grandmother gifting me a Superman toy. It was, and it still is, very special to me. My granny gave it to me for my birthday, which is why I am so attached to it. That toy is nice in and of itself, but the sentiment linked to it makes it very meaningful and special to me. My grandma is no longer with us, but I still keep the toy to remember her and the pleasant times we shared. In some ways, the Superman toy takes me back to my childhood, when I used to play with it incessantly in front of my grandmother.
Best Tips To Score Better in Duolingo Speaking Test
The Duolingo English Test assesses the spoken English proficiency of test takers. It evaluates an individual’s ability to express themselves clearly and fluently within a designated time frame, demonstrating their command of the language both in comprehension and communication. While the section may pose initial challenges, focused preparation and strategic approaches can ensure your success. Here are some valuable strategies to help you ace the Duolingo Speaking Test:
- Try practicing speaking out loud in front of a mirror. It can give you the confidence to speak in front of real people. Not only that, you will be able to hear yourself out how you sound to people whilst speaking.
- Engaging with another individual, be it a friend, family member, or platform participant, provides a more realistic simulation of the interaction you will encounter in the actual assessment. The presence of a person forces you to respond dynamically, adapting your communication style and pace to accommodate their reactions and potential interruptions. This active engagement mirrors the real-world experience far more closely than a static reflection in a mirror.
- interacting with another person allows you to receive immediate feedback on your performance. While a mirror can reveal visual aspects of your delivery, such as posture and facial expressions, it cannot assess the more nuanced elements of vocal communication, such as intonation, clarity, and appropriate emphasis. A listening audience can provide invaluable insights into these areas, highlighting aspects that may be unclear or detract from your message.
- Platforms specifically designed for language practice often offer additional features that enhance your preparation. These may include recordings of your performance, allowing for self-review and identification of areas for improvement. Some platforms even provide AI-powered feedback, offering objective analysis of your pronunciation, grammar, and fluency.
- Record yourself while speaking. This will give you an idea about the areas where you fall short. Doing so will give you a chance to improve your shortcomings.
- Time yourself while you speak. As the speaking sample test requires you to complete the assignment within a time frame of 1 to 3 minutes, putting time constraints will improve your overall speed and accuracy.
- Prepare from topics that are commonly asked in the DET exam. Some of the most common DET speaking topics include business, family, childhood, art, and so on.
So that was all about the Duolingo Speaking test. The Speaking/Writing section of the Duolingo English Test lasts for 10 minutes. You will have 3 minutes to complete the speaking task and 5 minutes for the writing task. The speaking section of the DET can be challenging for some; therefore, it is recommended that you practise the common speaking topics beforehand.
Ans: Some of the most common Duolingo Speaking topics include family, studies, student life, childhood, studies, future, friends, government, hobbies, music, cinema etc.
Ans: The Duolingo English Test lasts for one hour.
Ans: The score range of the Duolingo English test is 10 to 160.