Antonyms can make your writing more dynamic as they prevent monotony and keep the audience’s interest. So, let us understand the antonyms of putrefy to inhibit proficiency in the English language. Antonyms for putrefy are preserve, freshen, sustain, and protect.
Origin And Meaning Of Putrefy
The term “putrefy” is derived from the Latin word “putrefacere,” which means where “putre-” means “rotten” or “decayed,” and “facere” means “to make” or “to do.” The combination of both elements signifies the concept of making or becoming rotten or decomposed.
Antonyms of Putrefy
Let us dive deeper to learn the opposites of the word putrefy. They are as follows:
Antonyms of Putrefy Examples With Usage
Some examples of antonyms of putrefy that can be used in a sentence are as follows:
- Preserve: We must fight to preserve trees.
- Freshen: Her room needs a lick of paint to freshen it up.
- Sustain: Hope sustains life.
- Keep: I keep my money in my pocket.
- Protect: We must fight to protect our environment.
- Save: He has saved the life of a stranger.
- Maintain: He has maintained himself well.
- Expand: He is planning to expand his business.
- Prolong: He is suffering from prolonged disease.
Antonyms of Putrefy Quiz
1. Which of the following is the opposite of putrefy?
2. Which option is not the opposite of the word putrefy?
Explore More Exciting Reads Below
This was all about the antonym of “putrefy” meaning and examples. Hope you understand the term putrefy and its usage. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.