A few common antonyms of mellifluous are clashing, dissonant, strident, grating etc. The antonyms of “mellifluous,” basically describe something as smooth, sweet, and pleasing to the ear, are words that convey qualities of harshness, discord, or unpleasantness in sound. Let’s learn more about mellifluous, its antonyms and its usage with examples in the blog article below.
Meaning of Mellifluous
“Mellifluous” is an adjective that describes something, typically sound or speech, as smooth, sweet, and pleasing to the ear. It often conveys the idea of a flowing and melodious quality. When something is described as mellifluous, it is characterized by a harmonious and musical quality that is soothing and enjoyable to listen to.
7+ Mellifluous Antonyms
The antonyms of mellifluous represent sounds or qualities that are not smooth, sweet, or pleasing to the ear and may evoke discomfort or displeasure in the listener. Check them out below:
Usage with Examples
Here are other examples of antonyms in the sentences given below:
- The dissonant chords in the avant-garde composition created a sense of tension and unease.
- The jarring noise of the construction site made it difficult to concentrate.
- The politician’s strident voice during the debate only served to alienate potential voters.
- The rough, uneven texture of the old vinyl record caused the music to sound distorted.
- The clashing of instruments during the performance disrupted the harmony of the orchestra.
Also Read: 9+ Pliant Antonyms with Meaning and Examples
Mellifluous Antonyms Quiz
Choose two correct antonyms for mellifluous from below:
Answer: Clashing & Rough
This was all about the “antonyms of mellifluous” with meaning and examples. Hopefully, you understood the usage of the word. To read more antonym blogs, follow Leverage Edu.