Adverbs of Frequency: Adverbs play an integral role in effective communication. Adverbs give us information about how, when, and where an action is performed. These words provide more depth and complexity to a sentence. The addition of adverbs in the sentence makes it more descriptive. Adverbs also give the reader a clearer image.
Adverbs add to the tone and attitude of communication. The use of different adverbs can change the meaning of a sentence entirely. In this blog post, we will learn about the adverb of frequency which defines the number of times something happens during a particular time. Let’s explore the meaning, definition, and examples of adverbs of frequency.
This Blog Includes:
Definition of Adverb of Frequency
The Cambridge Dictionary defines the term frequency’, as “ for how many times an event or thing happens within a definite duration.” Therefore, an adverb of frequency as the name suggests is a word that tells us about how many times an action or an event happens within a particular period or duration of time.
According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary frequency refers to the definite amount at which a thing occurs. Hence the adverb of frequency denotes the rate at which something occurs.
What is the Adverb of Frequency?
Adverbs of frequency define how often an action takes place. Adverbs of frequency are often used to modify verbs that provide extra information about the frequency or duration of an action. For example:
- I always go for a run in the morning.
- She usually finishes her work by 5 PM.
- We rarely eat out at restaurants.
List of Adverbs of Frequency
The words that show the frequency or the intensity of action are called adverbs of frequency. The below table shows the list of adverbs that define the frequency of the action.
|Now and then
Check this out: Adverbs for Manner: Meaning, Definition, Examples, Exercises
Examples of Adverbs of Frequency
Let us understand the concept of adverbs of frequency with the help of examples for the proper understanding of the concept.
- Never: I never eat spicy food because I can’t handle the heat.
- Seldom: Sarah seldom misses her morning yoga sessions.
- Always: My grandmother always tells fascinating stories from her youth.
- Constantly: The teacher constantly encourages her students to ask questions.
- Ever: Have you ever traveled to Europe?
- Often: I often meet my friends for coffee on weekends.
- Every Hour: The clock chimes every hour, reminding us of the passing time.
- Everyday: I make it a point to practice the piano everyday.
- Eventually: With hard work and determination, you will eventually achieve your goals.
- Daily: The newspaper is delivered to our doorstep daily.
- Frequently: The company frequently organizes team-building activities.
- Hourly: The security guard checks the premises hourly to ensure safety.
- Yearly: Our family takes a yearly vacation to the beach.
- Generally: I generally prefer to start my day with a healthy breakfast.
- Monthly: The magazine is published monthly.
- Occasionally: We occasionally go out for dinner as a family.
- Regularly: She regularly practices meditation to maintain inner peace.
- Sometimes: Sometimes, it’s okay to take a break and relax.
- Rarely: I rarely watch television because I prefer reading.
- Usually: I usually go for a jog in the park before work.
- Normally: Normally, the store opens at 9 AM.
- Hardly ever: I hardly ever forget my keys at home.
- Scarcely: She had scarcely finished her meal when the phone rang.
- Now and then: We go on spontaneous road trips now and then.
Also Read: All About Regular and Irregular Verbs
Exercise of Adverbs of Frequency
Fill in the blanks using the most appropriate adverbs of frequency
- I __________ forget to water my plants; they always seem to be thirsty.
- The train arrives at the station almost __________, so make sure you’re on time.
- Sarah reads a book __________ before going to bed.
- He __________ visits his grandparents, who live in another city.
- __________, I enjoy going for a hike in the nearby mountains.
- The company holds meetings __________ to discuss project updates.
- I exercise __________ to stay fit and healthy.
- They go to the beach __________ during the summer vacation.
- She __________ wears a hat when it’s sunny to protect her skin.
- __________ do I see such beautiful sunsets from my balcony.
- The bakery releases a new flavor of cupcakes __________; they love experimenting.
- We go camping __________, especially during long weekends.
- My sister practices the piano __________ to improve her skills.
- The professor gives quizzes __________ to assess students’ understanding of the material.
- The museum updates its exhibits __________ to keep things interesting.
- They __________ go to the movies on Friday nights.
- I __________ go to the gym because it helps me relieve stress.
- The mail is delivered to our house __________, except on Sundays.
- We have a family meeting __________ to discuss upcoming plans.
- __________ do I see such a rare bird in our backyard?
Match your answers with the solved exercise.
- I always forget to water my plants; they always seem to be thirsty.
- The train arrives at the station almost daily, so make sure you’re on time.
- Sarah reads a book regularly before going to bed.
- He rarely visits his grandparents, who live in another city.
- Occasionally, I enjoy going for a hike in the nearby mountains.
- The company holds meetings frequently to discuss project updates.
- I exercise daily to stay fit and healthy.
- They go to the beach every year during the summer vacation.
- She always wears a hat when it’s sunny to protect her skin.
- Rarely do I see such beautiful sunsets from my balcony.
- The bakery releases a new flavor of cupcakes periodically; they love experimenting.
- We go camping whenever possible, especially during long weekends.
- My sister practices the piano regularly to improve her skills.
- The professor gives quizzes weekly to assess students’ understanding of the material.
- The museum updates its exhibits regularly to keep things interesting.
- They usually go to the movies on Friday nights.
- I often go to the gym because it helps me relieve stress.
- The mail is delivered to our house daily, except on Sundays.
- We have a family meeting monthly to discuss upcoming plans.
- Seldom do I see such a rare bird in our backyard.
Adverbs of frequency define for how often an action takes place. Adverbs of frequency are often used to modify verbs that provide extra information about the frequency or duration of an action. For example:
I always go for a run in the morning.
Adverbs of frequency are placed after the noun or pronoun that acts as the subject and before the verb if there is just one verb in a sentence. If there is more than one verb in a sentence (e.g., auxiliary verb), the adverb of frequency can be positioned before the main verb.
Some examples of adverbs of frequency are often, seldom, rarely, now and then, eventually, etc.