Marked as a day to commemorate the efforts of Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) all around the world, 27 February is celebrated as World NGO Day every year. Celebrating and collaborating with various NGOs, their missions and contributions are acknowledged on this special day. Moreover, the Council of Europe’s Conference of INGOs plans and organises a high-end conference in Europe, where human rights activists, civil society representatives, stakeholders, and others are brought together to participate in the official celebrations of the day. A memorable, meaningful, and remarkable day for NGOs, regular people can also join in the day by donating to or supporting their local NGO. Stay tuned and read this article to learn more about World NGO Day 2024!
This Blog Includes:
|Name of the event
|World NGO Day 2024
|Date of celebration
|European Union (EU); United Nations
|Purpose of Celebration
|Celebrating, commemorating, honouring and recognising all NGOs, including the people associated, who work tirelessly every day
History of World NGO Day: A Timeline
Let’s start the discussion on NGO Day by talking about its history and elaborating on the conjecture of its set timeline.
|The 1700s: From the Beginning
|International NGOs came into existence working for people and their causes.
|Marcis Liors Skadmanis creates and establishes World NGO Day.
|The Civic Alliance – Latvia at IX Baltic Sea NGO Forum officially proposes World NGO Day, which is recognised by 12 countries.
|The Baltic Sea NGO Forum committee accepts and adopts at Humboldt University in Berlin.
|The Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland hosts the first global inaugural event of World NGO Day.
|Since this year, the European External Action Service (Foreign and Defence Ministry of the European Union) has issued an international statement on International NGO Day.
World NGO Day Theme 2024
The theme for World NGO Day 2024 is “Building a Sustainable Future: The Role of NGOs in Achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)”.
This theme highlights the crucial role of NGOs in building a sustainable future. It tells how
This day is of importance throughout the world. Let’s glimpse upon some of the factors of the day that establish its significance for many.
- It acts significantly for the many contributors who help sustain the functionality of NGOs throughout the globe. The support is shared with not only the foundation but also the employees, volunteers, and the general people.
- This day also acts as a reminder for many to shift their attention to a range of worthy causes that get often overlooked. This creates awareness for the general public, who are hence motivated to invest in those causes.
- Furthermore, this day acts as a source of inspiration for people who have been driven to volunteer towards the causes they care about but haven’t been able to bring themselves to, for some reason or another.
How to Celebrate World NGO Day?
How can one start to celebrate this day? We share some tips below.
- Start by volunteering at an NGO and supporting a worthy cause.
- Talk about the importance of NGOs and spread awareness!
- Collaborate with local schools and event organisers to hold events surrounding World NGO Day, where the local people, including pupils and school children, can learn about the causes worth fighting for.
- Make a donation to a local NGO.
- Take to the social media platform and use the hashtag #worldngoday to share the achievements of the hardworking individuals who have been keeping NGOs active and impactful worldwide.
Quotes on World NGO Day
“We honor the remarkable dedication and resilience of workers in international development and humanitarian assistance.”
-Harjit S.Sajjan (Minister of International Development & Minister responsible for Pacific Economic Development Agency, Canada)
“I thank local NGOs. They give so selflessly and work so tirelessly to better our society.”
– By H.E. Silveria Jacobs (Prime Minister of St. Maarten)
“On World NGO Day, we pay tribute to their engagement, the impact of which should not be underestimated or taken for granted.”
-By Joseph Borrel (High Representative and Vice President of EU)
|International Day of Women and Girls in Science
|World Day of Social Justice
|World Radio Day
|Safer Internet Day
|National Productivity Day
|World Wetlands Day
Ans. The full form of World NGO Day is World Non-Governmental Organisation(s) Day!
Ans. The Anti-Slavery Society is the first NGO in the world. It was formed in 1839.
Ans. This day is celebrated to mark the importance of NGOs in the sustainable development of society. On this day, various non-governmental organizations together with highly authorized organizations such as the United Nations and WHO collaborate to spread awareness about the importance and contribution of NGOs in global development.