Student achievement requires a solid mental health foundation. Students who have low mental health will have poor academic outcomes. According to a 2022 YouthTruth student poll, more than half of students at every high school grade level listed depression, stress, and anxiety as barriers to learning, making these conditions familiar in American adolescent culture. This is almost the same situation in Indian culture as well. The anxiety and depression increase around the time of board results as the students are anticipating a certain type of result but they are unable to achieve that. Read this blog to know more about the importance of emotional well-being and mental health in academic success after the CBSE Board Results 2023.
CBSE Board Result 2023 (Live Updates) – Exam Results Expected Soon, Check All Updates Related to the Results Here
This Blog Includes:
What is Mental Health?
Mental health is best defined as the impact of a young person’s thoughts, feelings, and behaviours on his or her life. Mental health is a spectrum disorder. Every individual has a mental health experience, just as every individual experiences physical health as a continuum from ‘good’ to ‘sick’.
Mental health, like physical health, evolves at different stages in people’s lives due to biological and environmental influences. A mental illness is a disorder that interferes with a young person’s daily functioning at home and school by affecting his or her thoughts, emotions, and mood.
What is Emotional Well-Being?
Emotional wellness or well-being, according to the National Centre for Emotional Wellness (NCEW), is a knowledge, comprehension, and acceptance of feelings, as well as the ability to handle them effectively during times of transition or struggle.
Uncomfortable or painful feelings, as well as overwhelming thoughts, can impair people’s ability to function and make them feel as if they are losing control of their lives.
According to the NCEW, by becoming aware of the emotions that each individual experiences and learning how to handle them, people can regain control, minimise obstacles, and continue to function effectively.
Must Read: How to Choose the Right Options After CBSE Board Result 2023?
Difference Between Mental Health and Emotional Well-Being
Mental health and emotional health are two aspects of well-being that are frequently mentioned in tandem. Both are significant, but they are also very distinct.
Mental health is defined as the ability to think clearly, process information, recall things, and respond to new events rationally. Your emotional, psychological, and social well-being are all included. Simply said, mental health influences how you think, feel, and act.
Being emotionally healthy entails having positive relationships with others, having a positive self-image, and being able to manage pressures.
But wait, I just claimed that mental health influences how you think, feel, and behave; how are these two ideas not synonymous? The truth is that they are pretty similar. I prefer to see mental wellness as a set of wheels on a bicycle. The wheels are the foundation of the bike and must be adequately maintained. However, without spokes, wheels cannot work properly. They are held together by the spokes.
To put it simply, mental health refers to your general mental state, whereas emotional health is concerned with how you interact with others, the specific emotions you encounter every day, and how you manage them.
Must Read: CBSE Board Result 2023: Tips for Parents
CBSE Board Results 2023 and its Impact on Mental Health
Results time can be a stressful and anxiety-provoking period for many students, especially when it’s board results where your future depends on the result. Mental and emotional well-being can be affected during this time in several ways:
- Increased stress and anxiety: Students may experience increased stress and anxiety leading up to and after receiving exam results. They may worry about how they performed and what impact their results will have on their future.
- Self-esteem and self-worth: Exam results can impact students’ self-esteem and self-worth. Low grades or poor performance can lead to feelings of inadequacy or failure.
- Pressure and expectations: Students may feel pressure from themselves, parents, or teachers to perform well, which can increase stress and anxiety levels.
- Fear of the unknown: Students may fear the unknown and the uncertainty of what comes next, such as college admissions or job prospects.
- Depression and burnout: Prolonged stress and anxiety can lead to depression and burnout, which can have a negative impact on mental and emotional well-being.
Students may eventually ponder giving up if they are not supported. In this case, for example, if i student underperforms in their CBSE board results in 2023, they might feel like it’s the end of their lives and that this is the only option left for them to do.
Hence, it is important to prioritize mental health and seek support during results time. Students can practice stress-reducing techniques, such as mindfulness and relaxation exercises, and reach out to trusted friends, family, or counsellors for emotional support. Additionally, academic institutions can provide resources and support, such as counselling services, to help students cope with the stress and anxiety of results time.
Must Read: How to Deal with CBSE Board Result Anxiety
How to Improve Your Mental/Emotional Well-Being to Improve Your Academic Performance?
Improving mental health can positively impact academic performance. Here are some ways that students can improve their mental health to improve their academic performance:
- Seek help: If you are struggling with mental health issues, seek professional help. Many schools and universities offer counselling services to students. You can also reach out to your healthcare provider for assistance.
- Manage stress: Find ways to manage stress, such as through exercise, meditation, or yoga. Taking breaks and scheduling time for self-care activities can also help reduce stress levels.
- Get enough sleep: Adequate sleep is essential for mental health and academic performance. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night and establish a consistent sleep routine.
- Practice good self-care: Eating a healthy diet, staying hydrated, and avoiding drugs and alcohol can help improve mental health. Make time for activities that bring you joy, such as hobbies or spending time with loved ones.
- Develop good study habits: Good study habits can help reduce stress and improve academic performance. Plan ahead, break up assignments into manageable tasks, and avoid procrastination.
- Seek social support: Connect with friends, family, or support groups to reduce feelings of isolation and improve mental health.
Remember, improving mental health is a process that takes time and effort. Be patient with yourself and prioritize self-care and well-being alongside academic performance.
Must Read: Strategies to Deal with Peer Pressure and Comparison After CBSE Board Result
Whatever your results might be, it is not the end of the world. So, we wish you luck for the upcoming CBSE Board Results 2023 but at the same time, we would like to emphasize the Importance of Emotional Well-Being and Mental Health in Academic success. So, keep yourself well to perform well even in the future.
Hope now you know all about how to take care of mental and emotional health after the CBSE board result 2023. To know and read more about such blogs, check our page at Leverage Edu.