Each year the institute holds a national-level entrance examination to admit students to its research-level Law programs. Students aspiring to enrol for LLM and PhD in law courses from across the nation in one of the best national-level institutes apply for the examination. It is held in three phases an ILICAT written examination, a group discussion and a personal interview. Let’s explore this blog to know about the ILICAT GD PI process in detail.
|Name of the Exam||Indian Law Institute Common Aptitude Test|
|Conducting Body||Common Aptitude Test|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Mode of Examination||Offline|
This Blog Includes:
The notification for ILICAT Examination 2023 will be released soon on the official website of the Indian Law Institute. The exam forms are expected to be released at the end of February 2023. The students planning to fill out the application form for this year shall check the exam updates regularly.
The exam date is expected to be in April 2023. The latest dates regarding the examination and results will be updated here as soon as the official dates are released by the institute.
Also Read: Top Law Firms in India
|Application Process||February 2023 – March 2023|
|Admit Card Release date||April 2023|
|ILI CAT Exam Date||April 2023|
|ILI CAT Results||May 2023|
ILICAT GD PI Process
The ILICAT examination is the first step towards the admission of students to law-based research courses at the Indian Law Institute. After the completion of the entrance examination, there are various other steps that are mentioned here.
The ILICAT exam result is released on the official website of the Indian Law Institute. Along with the results, a provisional merit list of candidates is also released. The candidates who are on this list are then invited for the further process.
The next step is the commencement of a Group Discussion and Personal Interview. The date, timing and centre for the interview are shared with the selected candidates. After the successful rounds of Interviews and Group Discussions a final merit list of candidates is released. The candidates are then invited for counselling and documentation to reserve their seats.
The Group discussion for the ILICAT exam is an important part of the examination process. The group discussion carries a certain section of marks weightage for the final selection of students. The idea here is to evaluate the diverse viewpoints of various candidates based on their understanding of a single topic.
A group of at least 3 or more students is made and given a topic. During the discussion, a member of the jury may or may not moderate the discussion. They would first expect the members to fruitfully and respectfully go about the process, in case certain candidates are not participating or getting a chance, a member might start lobbying the discussion.
How to Prepare for ILICAT GD?
To ace the group discussion scores it is imperative to keep certain important tips in mind while preparing for it. The candidates preparing for ILI CAT Group Discussion must adhere to the following.
- Self Awareness. While presenting views in the ILICAT Group Discussion the candidates always have to keep in mind that the topic and its points of discussion are the same for everyone, how one has to make themselves stand out is adding a personal inference to it. The candidate can either relate it to an incident, a previous judgement or simply a conclusion they derive from it.
- General Awareness. The candidates must be well aware of the current scenarios and the country and the world. The contemporary developments and issues and how to deal with them.
- Know the previous panel discussions. Candidates can get in touch with current students on social platforms and ask about the topic of discussions in previous years. It helps in relating and one can also hold mock discussions with them.
- Be Confident. Being confident ensures putting forth the ideas and thoughts in one’s mind effortlessly in the best possible way. The candidate must make sure not to speak over someone else’s argument or to get interrupted by someone.
- Some famous topics of Law based group discussions in the previous year were: Gyanvapi Mosque, Agnipath Scheme, the Impact of the Russia-Ukraine crisis on India, climate change and the role of India, pros and cons of raising the marriage age of women from 18 to 21 years etc.
Important GD Topics for Law in 2023
Here are some of the top topics for group discussions in Law based entrance examinations for ILI CAT Examination 2023.
- India’s Presidency at G20
- India-Bangladesh Relations
- The scope and influence of ChatGPT
- Cybersecurity in this century
- Recession and its impact on India
- Sustainable Clothing
- China’s Economic Slowdown
- INS Vikrant
- Creator’s Economy
- Binge Watching
The Personal Interview session of the candidates is scheduled without screening from the group discussion. The marks attained together in both arenas are considered for the final assessment of results. The candidate’s background in the field and their skill set, experience and knowledge are evaluated in this section.
The Personal Interview is for 20 marks and is conducted to determine the personality of an individual. The Interview is also an important part of judging the confidence, determination and intent of the student. Certain skills evaluated here are good judgment skills, negotiating skills, presence of mind, use of common sense and basic scenarios to arrive at conclusions.
How to Prepare for ILICAT PI?
The Personal Interview is an individual assessment of the candidate. The questions are majorly based on qualifications in undergraduate studies, Law as a profession and why it interests the candidate, Maturity and intellectual curiosity, Leadership, Communication and decision-making skills. Certain tips to ace the personal interview are given here.
- The interview usually starts with a personal statement and that should be used to divulge the topics that the candidate is good at.
- One should also justify their intent to pursue law, their strengths and weaknesses and how they comply with this field.
- The questions based on resume and qualifications are for judging a candidate’s knowledge gained from those experiences and their aptitude for higher education in Law.
- The legal and thinking skills-based questions are the tricky ones. A candidate is evaluated on their quick wit and ability to analyse.
- The candidates should also always be prepared for general knowledge and current affairs questions. It is not only the knowledge of these disciplines but also a candidate’s inference from these.
Top Questions for Law PI in 2023
The best questions for a personal interview in ILI CAT Examination are given below. The candidates can start preparing with these questions and then delve further into specific questions around similar abovementioned topics.
- Why did you choose this organisation? Or Why should we choose you as a candidate for our institute?
- Why do you want to become a Lawyer? Or Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- What are the likes of books you read?
- What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment and why?
- Let’s discuss a Supreme Court Judgement that you disagree with.
- So far, what has been your biggest challenge?
- What is your dream Law Job?
- Would you see yourself as a Leader or a Lawyer?
- How was your experience with the undergraduate degree?
- Do you have any questions for us?
The Indian Law Institute Common Aptitude Test is conducted annually on the All India Level. The students aspiring for admission to higher education in Law based courses are welcome to apply as the university opens registrations in February 2023.
Yes, the ILI CAT Exam does have a group discussion. After the examination and the release of a provisional merit list, the selected candidates are called for a group discussion.
ILI CAT exam is conducted for admission of students in LLM and PhD courses in the Indian Law Institute.