20 Interesting Fun Facts About Indian Food

3 minute read

India, the land of spices, is globally renowned for its delicious curries, appetizing starters, spicy aroma of the food, and delectable desserts. In today’s world, Indian recipes and cuisine have made their way into countries such as the UK, USA, Dubai, Bangkok, and Australia. While Indian cuisine may be a lot to handle for your spice tolerance, it will definitely leave you craving more. Did you know that Indians have been cultivating and consuming the same grains and legumes for more than thousands of years? Here are some other interesting fun facts about Indian food. 

Fun Facts About Indian Cuisine

1. India is the largest exporter of spice and spice items. 

2. The Indian food theory suggests that our food should contain at least six flavours including sweet, salty, bitter, sour, astringent, and spicy. 

Facts About Indian Food

3. From preparing fresh flatbread or roti to giving the dum biryani its “dum”, Indian households prepare everything from scratch. 

4. The Western concept of curry powder does not exist in India. Instead, the food is prepared using various spices to give different dishes their unique flavour. 

5. In India, breakfast is an important meal of the day and is usually savoury. 

6. Black pepper is called the king of spices. 

Facts About Indian Food

7. Turmeric, a commonly used spice in Indian cuisines, is known as a medicinal herb. It infuses a yellow colour into the food and is popular for its anti-inflammatory properties.  

8. Traditional Kashmiri cooking, Wazwan, contains a strong Central Asian influence. 

9. You can find over 100 different desserts and sweets in India out of which jalebi and gulab jamun are the most popular options. 

10. The Indian Kashmiri saffron is one of the most expensive spices in the world. It is popular for its health benefits, sweet fragrance, and delicate flavour.

11. India houses one of the spiciest chillies in the world, known as Bhoot Jolokia.

Facts About Indian Food

12. India is among the leading producers of white, red, brown, sticky, and black rice.  

13. Chai, a popular beverage in India, is an ancient drink. It dates back to an ancient royal court over 5,000 years ago. 

14. The British popularized coffee in India as a natural boost of energy for the body. 

15. Indian vegetarian samosas are actually inspired by the Middle Eastern Sambosa which has a meaty filling inside.   

16. Indian food is generally classified into three categories. These are Sattvic food, which helps a person achieve higher states of consciousness, Rajasic food, which stimulates energy, aggression, and passion, and Tamasic food, which lowers our resistance to diseases and promotes negative emotions. 

Facts About Indian Food

17. Only 20% of the total Indian population are vegetarians while the rest 80% population are meat-eaters. 

18. The staple ingredients of Indian cuisine, such as potatoes, tomatoes, and chillies did not originate in India. The Portuguese brought them to the subcontinent. 

19. Indian table etiquette includes eating food with hands rather than knives and forks. People believe thateating with hands provides a wide range of health benefits such as activating senses and improving digestion.

20. Barley was the staple food in ancient India. Its traces were found in the Indus Valley Civilization. However, today, people prefer wheat and rice over other grains. 

Facts About Indian Food

Hope you had fun learning these fun facts about Indian food. If you want to read more such interesting facts, you can also visit our blog on 60+ Interesting Facts about India.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *