Medical-surgical nursing is a nursing specialised area concerned with the care of adult patients in a broad range of settings. Medical-Surgical Nurse responsibilities include monitoring vital signs, administering medications, and maintaining patient records. Ultimately, you will work directly with patients before and after they complete a surgical procedure in our facility to ensure they receive the necessary medical attention. Read till the end to know how to pursue medical surgical nursing in India, eligibility criteria, universities and more.
This Blog Includes:
- Medical-Surgical Nursing: Overview
- How to Pursue Medical-Surgical Nursing in India
- Top Colleges
- Skills Required
- Admission Process For Medical Surgical Nursing
- Scope For Medical Surgical Nurse
Medical-Surgical Nursing: Overview
The medical-surgical nursing unit provides care to adults who are hospitalized with a wide variety of conditions and also prepares patients for the surgical process.
- This course is meant for only those who have a keen interest in the surgical field, and also people who enjoy caring for patients with complex medical issues.
- Medical-surgical nurses typically have the extensive clinical knowledge and high-level critical thinking skills
Role and Responsibilities for Medical-Surgical Nursing
Medical-surgical nurses must be able to coordinate, organize and prioritize complex multiple-patient assignments
- Mentioning preoperative and postoperative instructions to patients.
- Administering medications as guided by the Surgeon.
- Monitoring the patient’s progress post-surgery.
- Handing over medical instruments to the Surgeon during the surgery.
- Adhering to health and safety standards at all times.
How to Pursue Medical-Surgical Nursing in India
To become a medical-surgical nurse, students are eligible to pursue specialised courses after 10+12
- To pursue Medical-Surgical Nursing, it is best to start with B.Sc. Nursing. Clearing 10+2 exams from a recognized board in India with Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English as compulsory subjects.
- These are some programs through which you can start your career planning to become a medical-surgical surgical nurse, B.Sc Nursing, B.Sc Hons. Nursing, B.Sc Post Basic
Eligibility – For undergraduate courses, a minimum percentile of 50% marks in the secondary board examination is required.
Post Graduation Program
- After completion of a three-year degree course, students can move ahead with the master’s program to build up their career
- Becoming a Medical-surgical Nurse student can also pursue a Master’s course as well.
- M.Sc In surgical Nursing is the best option to kick your career in the field of medicine and surgery.
Eligibility – Students must graduate with aggerate of 55% in the field of B.Sc nursing, B.Sc Hons. Nursing or B.Sc post-Basic
These are the top college that provides medical-surgical nursing programs:
|Name of Institute||Location||Average annual fee in INR|
|Shri Ramchandra University||Chennai||1 Lakh|
|SRM University Kattankulathur Campus||Kanchipuram||1.05 Lakh|
|Annamalai University||Cuddalore||1.48 Lakh|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||1.63 Lakh|
|Baba Farid University of Health Science||Faridkot||1.96 Lakh|
|Bharti Vidyapeeth University||Pune||1.3 Lakh|
|Sharda University||Greater Noida||1.55 Lakh|
These are the certain Skills which is more important to become a Medical Surgical Nurse:
- Case Management
- Patients Management
- Client Education
- Ability to work as a Team
- Highly Organised
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Cultural Awareness
Relevant Read: GNM Course (General Nursing & Midwifery)
Admission Process For Medical Surgical Nursing
- Admission to this course is done through various Entrance exams and counselling processes, some college has their own entrance exam for the course.
- Some colleges conduct counselling in two stages first personal interviews and group discussions.
- Students who successfully qualify for the entrance exam and counselling process are finally eligible for the medical-surgical nursing program.
These are the Entrance Exams for the course:
- NEET (National eligibility cum Entrance Test ) (For UG)
- Institutional Entrance Exam (For M.Sc)
- AIIMS ( All India Institute Of medical science ( Entrance exam)
- Educational Certificate including 10th and 12th Marksheets/ passing certificate.
- Passport size Photo
- Entrance Examination Score Card if any
- Evidence of Citizenship
- Cv/ Resume
Scope For Medical Surgical Nurse
Medical-surgical nurses administer medicines and surface treatment, educate patients on their health conditions, and admit or discharge new patients. Therefore, they essentially coordinate the groundwork in any healthcare facility.
Jobs Prospect and Salary
|Jobs||Average Salary Monthly|
|ICU Nurse||15,000-35,000 INR|
|Staff Nurse||15,000-20,000 INR|
|Head Staff Nurse||30,000-50,000 INR|
|Professor/ Researcher||60,000-1,00,000 INR|
Relevant Read: How to Make a Career in Psychiatric Nursing?
These are the lists of top recruiters for medical-surgical nursing:
- AIIMS New Delhi
- PGIMER, Chandigarh
- KLE’S Dr Prabhakar Kore Hospital
- Kokilaben Hospital
- Sir Ganga Ram Hospital
- Christian Medical College
- Kasturba Medical College
- King George’s Medical University
- BHU Varanasi
- Lilavati Hospital
Ans. The four principles of ethics for nurses guide this sacred charge. These principles are autonomy, beneficence, justice, and non-maleficence.
Ans. Medical-surgical nurses administer medicines and surface treatment, educate patients on their health conditions, and admit or discharge new patients. Therefore, they essentially coordinate the groundwork in any healthcare facility.
Ans. Medical surgery refresher courses will focus on these key care deliverables:
Wound dressings and surgical wound care.
Communicating and managing pain in a hospital.
This was all about Medical surgical nursing, If you want to know more about Study Abroad, our experts at Leverage Edu can help you explore the various programs offered around the world and assist you to find a suitable one as per your interests. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.