Harvard University is the world’s oldest, 4th most prestigious institutions of higher education in the world. The institute has been producing many influential leaders, thinkers, and innovators in various fields and domains since its establishment in 1636. Among them, there are also some notable Indian alumni who have made their mark in business, politics, academia, and society. In this blog, we will introduce you to some of the notable Harvard University Indian alumni and their achievements.
This Blog Includes:
5 Famous Harvard University Indian Alumni
Listed below are the 5 most renowned Harvard University Indian alumni. These figures are mostly graduates of Harvard Business School. Let’s get to know them in detail:
Source: GQ India
Ratan Tata is the Chairman Emeritus of Tata Sons, the holding company of the Tata Group, one of India’s largest and most respected business conglomerates. He has a B.S. in Architecture from Cornell University and completed the Advanced Management Program from Harvard Business School in 1975.
Ratan Tata is widely regarded as one of the most influential and respected business leaders in the world. He has received numerous awards and honors, including the Padma Vibhushan, the Bharat Ratna, and the Legion of Honour.
Anand Mahindra is the Chairman of Mahindra Group, a multinational conglomerate with interests in automobiles, farm equipment, IT, hospitality, aerospace, and more. He has a B.A. in Film and Literature from Harvard College and an MBA from Harvard Business School. He is also an active philanthropist, supporting initiatives in education, health, culture, and sports.
Source: Hindustan Times
Rahul Bajaj is the Chairman of Bajaj Group, a diversified conglomerate with interests in automobiles, finance, insurance, electricals, and more. He has a B.A. in Economics from Delhi University, an MBA from Harvard Business School, and an LL.B. from Bombay University.
Rahul Bajaj is known for his bold and outspoken leadership style, which helped him overcome the challenges of the license raj and take his group to great heights in the 1980s and 1990s.
Source: Mumbai Mirror
Suhel Seth is a renowned author, columnist, actor, and public speaker, who is known for his witty and insightful commentary on current affairs, politics, business, and society. He has a B.A. in English Literature from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi, and an MBA from Harvard Business School. He is also a prolific writer, having authored several best-selling books, such as The Incredible Sibling, Superstar India, and Get to the Top.
An avid theater and film actor, he has performed in plays such as The Alchemist, Julius Caesar, and Mahatma vs Gandhi, and movies like Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, Guzaarish, and Shaitan.
Source: The Economic Times
Ashish Nanda is a distinguished academician, economist, and professor, who is currently the Director of the Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA). With a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University, he has 25+ years of experience in teaching, research, and consulting, specializing in the areas of law, economics, and management. Ashish Nanda has been a faculty member at Harvard Law School, Harvard Business School, and Harvard Kennedy School.
Other Notable Harvard Indian Alumni
Apart from the above known personalities, here are some other popular Harvard University Indian alumni:
- Subramanian Swamy: A politician, economist, and statistician, who has served as a Union Minister, a Member of Parliament, and a professor at IIT Delhi. He has a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University.
- Kapil Sibal: A lawyer, politician, and a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha. He has served as the Minister of Human Resource Development, Law and Justice, Communications and IT, and Science and Technology. He has a postgraduate degree from Harvard Law School.
- P. Chidambaram: A lawyer, politician, and a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha. He has served as the Finance Minister, Home Minister, and Commerce Minister of India. He has an MBA from Harvard Business School.
- Jayant Sinha: A politician, businessman, and a Member of Parliament in the Lok Sabha. He has served as the Minister of State for Finance and Minister of State for Civil Aviation. He has an MBA from Harvard Business School and an MS from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Sundar Pichai: The CEO of Alphabet Inc., the parent company of Google. He has been instrumental in leading the development and innovation of products such as Chrome, Android, Gmail, and Google Maps. He has an MBA from the Wharton School, an MS from Stanford University, and a B.Tech from IIT Kharagpur.
- Raghuram Rajan: An economist, academician, and author, who has served as the Governor of the Reserve Bank of India. He has a Ph.D. in Economics from the MIT University, an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad, and a B.Tech from IIT Delhi. He is currently a professor of finance at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
Ans: Ratan Naval Tata, Anand Gopal Mahindra, Rahul Bajaj, Suhel Seth, and Ashish Nanda are some of the famous Indian alumni of Harvard University.
Ans: As of 2021, the current number of Harvard University Indian alumni stands at 2,800.
Ans: Yes, Ratan Tata is a renowned and respected alumnus of Harvard University.
We hope that you are now familiar with all the Harvard University Indian alumni courtesy this blog. Keep following Leverage Edu for more study abroad content like this. Thank you for reading!