Data science is among the most sought-after and rewarding fields in the 21st century. It combines the power of mathematics, statistics, computer science, and domain knowledge to extract insights from complex and large-scale data. If you want to pursue a career in data science, you might consider studying MSc Data Science at Oxford University. In this blog, we will tell you why Oxford is a great choice for data science enthusiasts, what the program offers, and how you can apply for it. Let’s get started!
|Department offering the program
|Oxford Internet Institute (OII)
|10 months (full-time)
|Master of Science (MSc)
|First-class undergraduate degree with honours in any subject
Quantitative aptitude/experience (calculus, matrix algebra)
Strong academic record in subjects like statistics, probability, etc.
|Start Date (Tentative)
|14 October 2024
This Blog Includes:
MSc Data Science Oxford University Programs: Overview
The MSc in Social Data Science is a program offered by the Oxford Internet Institute (OII), which is part of the Department of Sociology. It provides students with the skills and knowledge they need to analyze and interpret social data using a variety of quantitative and qualitative methods. The program covers a wide range of topics, including:
- Data collection and cleaning
- Statistical analysis
- Machine learning
- Social network analysis
- Text analysis
- Data visualization
- Ethics of data science
Students in the program will also have the opportunity to complete a research project on a topic of their choice.
MSc Data Science Oxford University: Benefits
Being one of the world’s top universities, Oxford occupies the #4 position globally for its Data Science programs according to QS World Rankings by Subject 2023. The MSc in Social Data Science program is offered by Oxford Internet Institute, known for its research and teaching in this field. You will learn from world-class faculty and researchers, experts in their fields having extensive experience in applying data science to real-world problems.
You will have access to state-of-the-art facilities and resources, like the Oxford e-Research Centre, the Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance, and the Alan Turing Institute. The interdisciplinary nature of this program will benefit you, as it combines different disciplines like social sciences, engineering, mathematics, statistics, and linguistics. You can also choose from a host of option papers and electives, allowing you to tailor your studies to your interests and career goals.
MSc Data Science Oxford University: Acceptance Rate
The acceptance rate for the MSc Social Data Science at Oxford University is about 10%. It means that only 1 in 10 applicants to this program receive an offer. It is a very competitive program that requires a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and programming. So if you are interested in applying, you should fulfil all the entry requirements of the course. You can also check them on the official website of Oxford University.
Given below are the entry requirements for the MSc Social Data Science Oxford University program:
- A first-class 4-year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with honours in any subject.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 in the last 2 years of undergraduate degree.
- Quantitative aptitude or experience in introductory calculus and matrix algebra through-
- Strong passes in undergraduate courses like Probability, Statistics, Linear Algebra, and/or Calculus.
- A-levels in mathematics or equivalent qualifications.
- Relevant work experience.
- A strong statement of purpose explaining your interest in the program and relevant experience.
- 2 academic references
English Language Requirements
Students must have the following minimum English language scores:
|7.0 overall, with no less than 6.5 in any sub-score
|100 overall, with no less than 22 in any sub-score
Here’s the application process for the MSc Social Data Science program at Oxford:
- Check the program’s entry requirements
- Create an account and begin your application via the University of Oxford application portal: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate
- Fill out the application form for the program.
- Upload all required documents and pay the application fee.
- Submit your application before the deadline, typically in December for the following academic year.
- Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an interview, usually conducted online or via phone.
- Track your application status through the online portal and respond to any requests for further information.
- Official academic transcripts: Higher Secondary School Certificate
- Statement of marks
- Proof of financial support
- Letter of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- English Language Scorecards (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE)
Ans. Yes, students from non-technical backgrounds can also pursue an MSc in Social Data Science. The curriculum offers foundational training in key data science techniques, even if you haven’t extensively coded before.
Graduates from the MSc in Social Data Science can pursue careers in fields like social research, policy analysis, marketing, and consulting. The University’s alumni network and career support services further enhance your professional prospects.
Studying at Oxford introduces you to a diverse academic community with access to world-renowned faculty, research facilities, and learning opportunities. The program has strong ties to research institutes and organizations, allowing you to connect with real-world applications of social data science. Also, the historical and cultural richness of Oxford creates an unmatched learning environment.
We hope that this blog gave you a detailed insight into the MSc Social Data Science at Oxford University. Follow Leverage Edu for more such updates on courses to study abroad. Thank you for reading!