Pearson Test of English or PTE is an English Language test for students who are looking to apply to a university or countries abroad that use English as a primary language of communication. The conducting body of the PTE Academic exam is Pearson PLC Group. PTE at Home is launched by Pearson PLC Group. Summarize Written Test is the first task of the writing section of the PTE Test. In Summarize Written Test the students will be given 1 to 3 passages to summarize. In this blog, we will discuss how to summarize written text in the PTE exam.
|Exam Name||Pearson Test of English|
|Exam Short Name||PTE|
|Conducting Body||Pearson PLC Group|
|PTE Exam Fees||INR 15,900|
This Blog Includes:
What is PTE Summarize Written Text?
PTE Summarize Written Text means summarizing a paragraph into a summary. In the PTE exam, the students will get a long paragraph of 150-200 words which they have to read, analyze and summarize in one single sentence of 5-75 Words. In order to score well, they have to complete this particular task within 10 minutes.
The candidates preparing for the PTE exam and want to score well in Summarize Written Text section then the score pattern for the exam will help the students to score good marks if you keep the pattern in mind. The scoring pattern is mentioned below:
- 2- In this, the marks are allotted for using the correct words and explaining the main context of the text.
- 1- In this, marks are allotted on the basis of words that are not used properly but the context is understandable.
- 0- In this, marks are allotted on the basis of a poor summary of the text with fewer important points mentioned.
- 2- In this marks are allotted on the basis of content is defined on the basis of proper grammatical structure and includes all the basic grammatical elements required.
- 1- In this marks are allotted on the basis of content having reasonable grammatical structure but not perfect.
- 0- In this marks are allotted on the basis of content is defined in a poor grammatical structure that interferes with comprehension.
Also Read: PTE Writing Section Syllabus
- 2- In this marks are allotted on the basis of a very well-structured summary including all significant points mentioned.
- 1- In this marks are allotted on the basis of a clear but concise summary of the text with important points mentioned.
- 0- In this marks are allotted on the basis of a poor summary of the text with fewer important points mentioned.
- 1- In this marks are allotted on the basis of content is very well written in a single complete sentence.
- 0- In this marks are allotted on the basis of whether the content is written in long and multiple sentences or is not defined in the appropriate number of words.
Do’s and Don’t For Summarize Written Text in PTE Exam
The test takers who will be giving the PTE Academic Test must know some points before giving the exam. Below mentioned steps are the do’s and don’t of the Summarize Written Text in PTE Exam:
- The candidates who will be writing the Summarize written Text must keep a watch on the timer and when the timer reaches red it means only five minutes are left.
- The candidates must know that the candidates can only cut, copy and paste the text that they have written inside the box.
- The candidate must make sure to copy the text before making any kind of corrections in the summary.
- If the candidate has finished writing the text and still have some time then utilize the time in checking punctuation, vocabulary, grammar and spelling mistakes.
General Tips for Summarize Written Text in PTE Exam
The candidates who are appearing for the PTE exam get nervous but with the help of the right study materials and tips, students can ace the written text section. The general tips for summarising written text are mentioned below:
- The test taker must write short sentences of between 35 to 45 words.
- Try to write the summary in the third form.
- Try to write each sentence in bullet points into a single sentence.
- Make sure to capitalize the starting words and nouns in the sentence
- Check the grammar just after you complete the text to avoid any grammatical errors.
- Make sure to not miss out on any important information when you summarize the content.
- Do not mention any information which is not given in the text.
- Try to use those words which you know.
- Make sure to follow all the instructions and scoring guidelines.
- Practice tying before going for the exam
- Make sure to not repeat the same words in the text. Try to use synonyms or other words having similar meanings as given in the text.
- Try to pay attention to small facts and details that you use only full stop/period at the end of the sentence.
Summarizing Written Text is the first part of the Writing section of the PTE test. In this part, candidates will be given between 1 to 3 passages to summarize. Candidates will have 10 minutes to summarize each passage into one sentence. The sentence can be as many as 5 to 75 words long.
The five tricks in summarizing text are the Five W’s, One H strategy relies on six crucial questions: who, what, when, where, why, and how. These questions make it easy to identify the main character, important details, and main idea.
To summarize a written text in the PTE exam below mention are a few steps that the candidates must follow before appearing in the exam which is:
Write out bullet points for each paragraph to start.
Summarize your bullet points into a single sentence.
Write an answer that is at least 35 words but no more than 50 words.
Don’t miss basic grammar (capital letters, period, etc.)
Do not include information that is not in the text.
In the above article, the candidates will get to know how to Summarize Written Text in the PTE Exam, Do’s and Don’t, the Scoring Pattern of the exam and general tips for the PTE A Exam which will help them to score the best in the exam. The candidates can get a good grip on the questions in the speaking section only through practice.
PTE scores are helpful in securing admission to leading universities and Students can seek guidance from industry experts and coaches, have a look at Leverage Edu‘s Leverage Live classes and with the help of top trainers, get closer to a spot in your dream college. For any help with your PTE preparation or study abroad journey, you can reach out to us at 1800-57-2130.