Good mental health is a symptom of good physical health: there’s a close relation between psychological and physical health and both can have a significant impact on each other. A person with good mental health means his/ her emotional, psychological and social well-being is in perfect shape. On the other side, a person is considered to be physically fit if he/ she is able to carry out daily activities and has a good physical condition. This article will tell you how good mental health leads to good physical health.
Here are all the attributes that show the relationship between good mental and physical health.
This Blog Includes:
How to Improve Your Mental and Physical Health
To live a healthy lifestyle, it’s very important to take good care of your mental and physical health. There are tons of suggestions on the internet which will provide you with ideas to improve your mental and physical health. But very few of them will describe to you all the aspects of your present mental and physical condition and how much improvement is required to lead a healthy lifestyle. Here are some instructions that will help improve your mental and physical health.
- Avoid Alcohol and Drugs – youngsters often indulge in unhealthy habits like consuming alcohol and drugs. In the initial stage, their consumption will provide you with some pleasure, but in the long run, it will harm your good mental and physical health. There comes a moment when you cannot survive without consuming these substances and you will have to rely on these unhealthy substances to survive.
- Daily Exercises – studies have shown that people who exercise on a regular basis are practically more in good mental and physical shape. Exercising daily does not mean that you have to go to the gym only. There are many different types of exercise which you can do at home and outdoors. If you are just a beginner, you should start by warming up for 10-15 minutes and stretch out a little bit.
- Focus on a Healthy Diet – a healthy diet is considered which has an equal proportion of carbohydrates, proteins and fats. You need to focus on a healthy diet that includes fruits, vegetables and nuts. If you are having a hard time preparing a diet plan, try considered to a qualified nutritionist, who will create a healthy diet plan and customize your needs accordingly.
- Practice Stress Management Techniques – people often feel stressed because of work pressure or personal reasons, which ultimately takes a toll on their mental and physical health. To keep your mental and physical health in good shape, it’s important that you invest your time practising stress management techniques, such as yoga, meditation or deep breathing.
Also read – World Mental Health Day
Effects of Mental Health on Physical Health
People who are having mental issues often find it hard to stay physically fit, as both of them are closely connected. Seeking treatment for mental health issues can not only improve mental health outcomes but will also be of great help to your physical health. Below we have listed some ways which prove how mental and physical health are connected.
- Digestive Issues – mental health issues can affect digestion, which leads to gastrointestinal problems such as acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Poor Self-care – people going through a mental health issue often have difficulty with self-care. Self-care includes habits like eating healthy meals, exercising regularly, and seeking medical attention when necessary, which might affect your physical health also.
- Chronic Pain – Chronic pain conditions are caused by depression and anxiety.
- Sleep Problems – mental health issues can often disturb your sleeping pattern, which sometimes leads to insomnia, excessive sleepiness, etc, which will also harm your physical health.
Also read – 7 Tips For Fitness While Studying Abroad
Reach Out for Assistance
People struggling with mental health issues should remember that there are people out there who can health them in dealing with their issues. Below we have listed some steps which you can use to reach out for assistance.
- Talk to someone you trust
- Reach out to a support group
- Talk to a mental health professional
- Use crisis hotlines such as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or the Crisis Text Line.
There is a myth that people who seek help are considered weak. That’s not how it is, as it takes courage to acknowledge that you need help and you are reaching out to others to deal with your mental and physical stress.
To improve mental health, you can practice stress-buster exercises, like yoga or meditation or you can go on a trip, which will help you with your mental issues.
To improve your physical health, you need to work out on a regular basis, eat a balanced diet, take enough rest, socialize with people, etc.
The four types of mental health are – personality disorder, mood disorder (depression or bipolar), anxiety disorders and psychotic disorders, like schizophrenia.
Everybody has some sort of mental and/or physical problems which disturbs their day-to-day life. To lead a healthy lifestyle, it’s very important that you work regularly to improve your mental and physical health.
To open up more such conversations or add to this one, please feel free to reach out to us in the comment section below.