The antonyms of ‘Prosperity’ are hardship, failure, and loss to mention a few. According to the standard definition, ‘Prosperity’ refers to a state of being successful, flourishing, and having wealth and abundance.
The word prosperity comes from the Latin word “prosperitas,” which means “success” or “good fortune.” It was first used in English in the 16th century to describe financial success and abundance.
Meaning of Prosperity
Prosperity is a noun that describes the condition of being successful or thriving financially, socially, or economically. It can also refer to a period of economic growth and stability.
Also Read: 110+ Antonyms
9+ Opposites of Prosperity
Let’s take a look at the following opposites or antonyms of Prosperity to expand your understanding of the word:
Usage with Examples
The word Prosperity is often subjective and can vary depending on the context and perspective of the speaker.
Let’s take a look at the following examples of using the antonyms of Prosperity in a sentence:
- The pandemic has caused widespread hardship and poverty for many people.
- The company’s profits have declined, and they are now facing adversity.
- Despite her efforts, she has faced constant misfortune in her personal life.
- The homeless man on the street is a symbol of destitution and despair.
- The country is in the midst of a struggle to overcome economic and social challenges.
Also Read: Antonyms of Improve, Meaning and Examples
Prosperity Antonyms Quiz
Pick the closest word that is the antonym of ‘Prosperity’ from the options given below:
Also Read: Antonyms of Selfish with Meaning and Example
This was all about the antonym of Prosperity with meaning and examples. I hope you understood the usage of the word. To read more antonym blogs, follow Leverage Edu.