The antonyms of “Lend” are Borrow, Keep, Withhold or Retain. To make an impression and get well-versed in vocabulary one should know at least a few antonyms of general words like “Lend.”
“Lend” is a word that is regularly used in general day-to-day communication. We come across this word at least once a day. Not just this we also use its antonyms quite frequently.
Meaning of Lend
“Lend” is a verb that means to give or allow someone to use or have something temporarily, typically with the expectation that it will be returned. It involves offering assistance or support by providing an item, often money, for a specific period, with the intention of getting it back. Lending is a common practice in financial transactions, where one party provides funds to another under agreed-upon terms. It plays a crucial role in facilitating economic activities and relationships between individuals and institutions.
9+ Opposites of Lend
Mentioned below are some words that can be used as antonyms to the word Lend:
- Keep for oneself
Also Read: 300+ Antonyms
Antonyms of Lend Usage with Examples
Given below are some examples of how the antonyms of “Lend” can be used in a sentence:
- Borrow: He asked to borrow my car for the weekend.
- Keep: I decided to keep my umbrella because it might rain later.
- Withhold: The company decided to withhold financial support until the project was properly documented.
- Retain: The library asked patrons to retain their borrowed books until further notice.
- Hoard: Some people tend to hoard their resources instead of sharing them with others.
- Hold: She preferred to hold onto her jewelry collection rather than lend it to anyone.
- Possess: I currently possess the money I need for the trip, so I don’t need to borrow.
- Own: He was proud to own his own car, so he didn’t have to borrow one.
- Keep for oneself: Instead of sharing the cookies, she decided to keep them all for herself.
- Refuse: When I asked to borrow his computer, he flatly refused to lend it to me.
Antonyms of Lend Quiz
She decided to __ her bicycle to her friend for the weekend.
Answer: b) Keep
The company chose to __ financial support until the project was properly documented.
Answer: c) Withhold
This was all about the antonyms of “Lend” meaning and examples. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.