Interviews may be nothing less than a terrifying nightmare for some people. But in order to achieve a dream career, one must persevere through this arduous procedure. For those who are preparing to begin a fresh start in their job, understanding the appropriate technique for the telephone interview process is crucial. This is the first stage of the hiring process. Don’t worry, you are in the perfect place because this blog is going to help you through the 20+ phone interview questions along with their sample answers. This would ultimately help you to analyze the mindset of the interviewer and what they are seeking in you as an employee of the organization. Continue reading this blog till the very end to explore some of the best phone interview questions.
This Blog Includes:
Also Read: How to Answer Common Interview Questions?
What are Phone Interview Questions?
Phone Interview Questions are the initial round of any interview process. Whether you are a fresher, a trainee, or an experienced person, you need to go through the phone interview process for further proceedings. This round is conducted by the Human Resource Management of the organization.
An HR Manager will analyze basic details about you and get to know about your educational and work background. HR will also analyze any risk factors at this step and then proceed with your application.
Thus, phone interview questions are asked to narrow down the pool of candidates before the shortlisted candidates are invited for the face-to-face interview process.
Also Read: HR Interview Questions and Answers
Importance of Phone Interview Questions?
The phone interview questions are necessary for both the interviewers and the interviewee. This initial process will clear the preference of both parties. To answer the phone interview questions, you need to research the company, practice your answers, and review the job description and job specifications to increase your chances of getting selected.
Mentioned below are the important functions of Phone interview questions:
- Initial Screening
- Time and cost-efficient
- Assessment of enthusiasm and interest
- Judgment of communication skills
- Identifying cultural fit
- Shortlisting for in-person interviews
20+ Phone Interview Questions with Sample Answers
Given below are some phone interview questions with sample answers:
- Tell me about yourself.
I have been in a sales job for the past 3 years, primarily working in the textile industry as area sales manager. Recently, I was promoted to senior area sales manager. And now I am seeking to advance my career by joining your company.
- How do you get to know about this opening?
I came across this vacancy on an online job portal. Since it matches all the specifications, I decided to apply.
- What do you know about our company?
I have been following the achievement blogs of the company on its official website, and I am impressed with the objective of the organization to keep the client first. The fact that it is a one-stop destination for applying for the money transfer process, so it fascinates me to know how the whole team works to accomplish the task.
- Why did you leave your last organization?
I’ve been working in the sales department for 3 years now, and though I love my work now I am planning to upgrade my learning and skills which I hope will happen if I join your company.
- What is your salary expectation?
Considering my work experience, achievements, and certification in digital marketing, which according to you would be helpful for the company. I am looking for somewhere around INR 42000 monthly.
- Are you willing to relocate?
Yes, I am ready to relocate to Hyderabad. But I need one week since I need to figure out the place to live.
- When can you start?
I am really thrilled by the prospect of joining your team. I want to offer two weeks’ notice at my current employment to enable a seamless transition for my coworkers, and I will be delighted to join the team here after that. In the meantime, I will find some place there to live since I will relocate there.
More Relevant Phone Interview Questions
Given below is the list of common phone interview questions:
- Tell me about yourself.
- How did you come across this vacancy?
- What has attracted you to this position and or company?
- Let me know about your past organization.
- What job role did you have in your previous company?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- From where have you completed your graduation?
- What keeps you motivated?
- Walk me through your project details.
- What do you like to do in your leisure time?
- Would you be willing to do a full-time job?
- How will you achieve the targets?
- What can you offer to the organization?
- Describe any successful project of yours.
- What is your last drawn salary?
- How do you keep a work-life balance?
- What is your salary expectation?
- How do you handle criticism at work?
- Would you be able to take instructions from people younger than you?
- How do you handle failure?
- Are you willing to relocate as it is an office job?
- How do you keep yourself updated?
- What is your greatest achievement to date?
- Do you have any questions?
Also Read: How to Ace a Walk-in-Interview?
Tips to Answer Phone Interview Questions?
A fresher might not have a clear idea of what is to be asked in phone interviews. Besides that, a phone interview might be the first round of screening or it might be the only interview that is to happen. So, it would be beneficial to go prepared. Here are some tips to answer the common phone interview questions:
- Prepare in advance and do research about the company, job role, etc.
- Be ready to answer the behavioral questions.
- Sit in a suitable noise-free environment.
- Listen carefully to the interviewer.
- Be confident.
- Your voice should reflect confidence and be clear.
- Be concise while answering, don’t over-exaggerate your answers.
- Use the STAR method for constructing the answers.
- Keep the focus on your achievements.
- Practice, take notes, and follow-up.
What Experts Have to Say
Experts and hiring professionals say that a phone interview is the preliminary part where the interviewer analyzes the personality of the applicant and his/her suitability for the company. On the other hand, employees get a clear picture of the company. The HR manager would ask a couple of questions to judge your basic knowledge, communication skills, and your mindset with respect to the particular role. Therefore, it is very important to convey enthusiasm and the best version of yourself.
Also Read: Guide to Ace Video Interview
Knowing how to answer and conduct yourself in a phone interview, this blog will help you to communicate with confidence on call. In order to convey your enthusiasm in the phone interview you must be prepared by practicing and gathering all the relevant information about the company and job roles and responsibilities.
Ans: Answer the phone confidently and professionally: begin with greeting the interviewer politely. Always remember that the “first impression is the last impression”, so convey your enthusiasm towards the job role.
Ans: Following are some common questions that could be asked in a call center interview:
-Tell me about yourself.
-What do you like to do in your spare time?
-Describe your previous work experience.
-Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?
-What motivates you to apply?
-Why are you leaving your current job?
-How would you handle the clients on call?
-What are the key factors that make a call center successful?
-How would you handle difficult clients?
-How would you handle feedback from the supervisors?
Ans: You can expect basic answers from the interviewer related to yourself, your work experience, your educational background, and the role you’re applying for.
Follow Leverage Edu for more interesting blogs and the best tips on how to prepare for your interview.