NIT MTech Admission 2023: Candidates wishing to enrol in any of India’s NITs (National Institutes of Technology) must have qualified for their GATE exams. Candidates who do not have their GATE scorecards can also apply for admission (through the institute option), in addition to GATE applicants. Candidates applying to NITs should keep in mind that the admission process for M.Tech programmes differs from that of IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology). In this blog, we will go over some important information about NIT MTech Admission.
Aspirants planning to pursue M.Tech courses at NITs are exempt from taking written exams or participating in interview rounds. To get admitted to NITs, students must obtain the minimum required GATE scores.
|Name of Examination||GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering)|
|Examination Body||IIT Kanpur (2023)|
|Level of Exam||National Level|
|Exam Purpose||M.Tech Admissions in NITs, IITs, IIITs, and GFTIs|
This Blog Includes:
- NIT MTech Admission (Through GATE) 2023
- NIT MTech Admission Required Documents
- NIT MTech Admission Eligibility Criteria
- NIT M.Tech Application Form
- NIT MTech Admission (Without GATE)
GATE, or Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering, is one of India’s most prominent and challenging exams. It is primarily conducted in eight major Indian cities by the GATE Committee (consisting of faculty members from IISc and seven other IITs). The Exam is intended to examine students’ aptitude and ability in Engineering, Technology, Architecture, Arts, Commerce, and Science. The exam can be advantageous for students who intend to establish a solid foundation in the aforementioned disciplines.
Also Read: Top Engineering Colleges In Delhi
NIT MTech Admission (Through GATE) 2023
Aspirants planning to pursue M.Tech courses at NITs are not required to undertake written exams or sit for the interview rounds. Students must obtain minimal GATE scores in order to be admitted to NITs. Prospective applicants who want to study MTech courses at NITs must follow the steps listed below.
Candidates who have qualified for their GATE Exams are required to register themselves on the official website of CCMT (Centralized Counseling for M.Tech./ M.Arch./ M.Plan.). The Online registration procedure entails candidates to:
- Answer the choice filling form.
- Select their preferred NIT along with the M.Tech Specialization.
- Confirm the choices with the designated dates.
Online Seat Allocation
Once the choices are locked upon, they will be further evaluated by the authorities. At this stage, seats are allocated to eligible candidates. It is to be noted that candidates will not receive designated allocation letters individually by NITs. Therefore, it is vital for candidates to download their seat allotment details from the official website of CCMT, i.e., https://ccmt.admissions.nic.in/.
NITs are notable for providing flexibility to prospective candidates regarding their seat allocation.
In other words, aspirants will be able to specify their seat allotment preference, i.e., Float, Slide or Freeze.
- Floating- Applicants will be considered for further rounds of seat allotment. Candidates will be able to select their preferred seat choices after skipping through the initial rounds of seat allotment, i.e., Round 1 and Round 2.
- Sliding- In this stage, the seat choices made by candidates during the further allotment rounds are fixed.
- Freezing- This stage ensures that a candidate’s seat preference remains unchanged. Such candidates will not be allowed to select their preferred seats during further rounds of the admission process.
Seat Acceptance Fee
Eligible candidates must pay the requisite amount of INR 20,000 to ensure that their selected seats are not assigned to another applicant. Paying the sum also implies that the candidate is willing to follow through on their decision and has no plans to alter it. Candidates can pay with a debit/credit card or using net banking.
Once the candidate pays the seat acceptance fee, he/she will be required to visit the nearest reporting centre. It is a mandate for candidates to procure their prescribed certificates/documents to the reporting centre to ensure a seamless verification process.
Also Read: MTech: Master of Technology
NIT MTech Admission Required Documents
Candidates are required to carry the following documents for NIT MTech Admission to the reporting centres to help authorities with the verification process. It is to be noted that candidates are only required to visit their designated centres once they have paid the seat acceptance fee. Have a look at the following list of credentials that must be procured by candidates.
- Class10/12 and B.Tech Mark Sheet
- Provisional Seat Allotment Letter (Printout)
- Certificate of Course Completion
- Identity Proof
- Conduct Certificate (Original)
- Category Certificate (Original) (SC/ST/OBC)
- GATE Scorecard
- Receipt of Seat Acceptance Fee
- Transfer Certificate
- Passport Size Photographs
- CCMT Registration Form (Printout)
NIT MTech Admission Eligibility Criteria
Aspirants intending to register for M.Tech Programmes at NITs must go through the list of eligibility prerequisites. One can visit the official website of the conducting body to check the prescribed list of criteria. The data given below will help you get an in-depth idea about the set of criteria required for admission.
- Candidates must be holding valid GATE scores.
- Candidates from marginalised communities (OBC) must have qualified for their BE/BTech with a minimum aggregate score of 60% from any notable institution in India.
- Individuals from SC/ST communities must be holding a degree in BE/BTech with a minimum aggregate score of 55% from any notable institution in India.
NIT M.Tech Application Form
M.Tech aspirants can apply for NITs through CCMT. Candidates can refer to the following steps to get an idea about the application process.
- Once the GATE results are out, aspirants must visit the official website of NIT M.Tech Admissions, i.e., https://ccmt.admissions.nic.in/.
- Applicants are required to select the registration link provided on the hub page.
- Candidates must enter the designated GATE registration ID to activate the CCMT online application form.
- Candidates are required to fill in the required credentials to ensure a seamless registration process. One must re-evaluate the mentioned details prior to submitting the registration form.
- It is crucial for aspirants to pay the registration fee to ensure a successful application process. Candidates belonging to OBC communities are required to pay a fee of INR 2,200, while those from SC/ST categories are needed to pay an amount of INR 1,700.
NIT MTech Admission (Without GATE)
Candidates without GATE scores can pursue M.Tech courses in NITs under certain conditions. Individuals aspiring to get admitted into NITs for M.Tech Programmes must be:
- Holding a B.Tech degree from IIT
- Must be having a CGPA of 8 or above
Apart from these criteria, there are certain instances where individuals can get admission into MTech courses of NITs. These cases are:
Individuals who have a work experience of more than 3 years and are able to meet the eligible academic criteria can apply for MTech Admission in NITs.
Eligibility Criteria for M.Tech Sponsored Seats
Sponsored candidates aspiring to apply for M.Tech Admissions into NITs can refer to the following set of prerequisites.
- Candidates must be holding BE/BTech Degrees with the minimum qualifying marks.
- Candidates must have a prior work experience of more than 2-3 years.
- Applicants must have been granted a 2-year study leave by their employers.
- Sponsored candidates are required to partake in written exams (applicable for certain NITs).
Quality Improvement Program
This initiative was administered by the government of India for individuals working in the academic field for more than 3 years. The programme was designed solely to aid such individuals in pursuing their higher education (M.Tech) from NITs.
Yes, it is possible to apply for NIT admission without taking the GATE. You must meet the minimal requirements for qualifying marks in your bachelor’s degree as well as provide prior job experience. Some NITs also hold their own entrance exams, which you can take.
NIT does not conduct interviews for MTech admission. Candidates are admitted based on their GATE score.
Candidates must bring the following documents to the reporting centres for NIT MTech Admission to assist officials with the verification procedure.
Class10/12 and B.Tech Mark Sheet
Provisional Seat Allotment Letter (Printout)
Certificate of Course Completion
Conduct Certificate (Original)
Category Certificate (Original) (SC/ST/OBC)
Receipt of Seat Acceptance Fee
Passport Size Photographs
CCMT Registration Form (Printout)
Getting admission into NITs for MTech courses can seem difficult or challenging at first but once enrolled into the revered institution, it can open a ton of lucrative professional and academic opportunities for candidates.
For more such informative blogs do check out our Indian University page, and if you have any queries feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com and stay tuned to our social media handles of Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter handles.