These questions typically focus on a specific section of the passage, sometimes even a single word. They involve playing a segment of the recording that relates to the question’s topic and then replaying only that particular topic.
These questions are typically phrased as follows:
- What does the professor imply when he says this?
- Why does the student say this?
- What does the professor mean when she says this?
Why does the professor say this?
a. The damaging effects of X-rays were not understood until many years after their introduction
b. X-rays were not appreciated for the first few years after discovery
c. People did not care about the side effects of X-ray use until much later
d. It took several years for side effects to appear
Tips to Remember
- The function of what is said may not match what the speaker directly states.
- Understand the context
- Identify the real meaning of the statement
- Identify what the speaker may be doing- directing, recommending, complaining, agreeing/disagreeing, questioning or confirming.
Correct Answer: A
Are you preparing for TOEFL? Check out this video to improve your listening skills for the TOEFL exam given below👇.
Download the Leverage App today.
Need help to prepare for TOEFL? Check out the best TOEFL preparation courses in the market offered in a live training environment by trusted educators. If you want to ease your study abroad journey, then call us at 1800-572-000.