UK standard visitor visa is a visa granted to international applicants to visit the United Kingdom. The visa is available for tourism, business and also for studying up to 6 months or other permitted activities. Basically, on a visitor visa, a person can stay in the UK for a total of 6 months. However, under exceptional circumstances, it is possible to stay for longer than 6 months. For example, in the case of a medical treatment. Applications for a standard visitor visa can be made online. Moreover, candidates will have to attend an appointment at the visa application centre. There is so much to talk about in detail about the UK Standard Visitor Visa, thankfully we have covered all of that in different sections of this blog.
This Blog Includes:
- What is the UK Standard Visitor Visa?
- What is a Long-term Standard Visitor Visa?
- Eligibility Requirements
- Documents Required
- Identification Proof and Documentation
- Processing Time
- UK Visitor Visa Validity
- UK Standard Visitor Visa: Cancellation
- When to Apply for a Standard Visitor visa?
- UK Visitor Visa Fees & Duration of Stay
What is the UK Standard Visitor Visa?
UK Standard Visitor visa is simply a common visa that an international visitor has to get to visit the United Kingdom. The visa allows a visitor to legally enter the United Kingdom and take part in permitted activities. This visa can be granted for several reasons. Here are some of them:
- Visit to study: The visa is granted to individuals who want to study for a maximum of 6 months in the UK. The study must be undertaken at a recognized educational institution, and the course must be relevant to the current field of study.
- Visit for medical reasons: Those who want to travel to the UK for medical purposes can also apply. For example, to get treatment at an NHS hospital, to get private medical treatment at a hospital in the UK.
- Visit as an academic: To take part in formal exchange arrangements with UK counterparts, or to carry out your research.
- Business visit: The visa can be applied to attend interviews, conferences, meetings, among others.
- Tourism: The visa can be used to visit the UK for tourism purposes as well.
What is the Age Limit for a UK Visitor Visa?
The appropriate age for a long-term UK Visitor Visa is 18 years. If you have applied for the visa before turning 18, then your visa will only be valid for up to 6 months after you turn 18. However, you can visit the UK as a minor under certain conditions and restrictions.
- There are suitable arrangements for your travel and stay.
- A written consent from your parents or guardian to travel if you are travelling alone.
- Proof that you will be able to pay for your return or further journey.
- Also, proof that you can sustain yourself in the UK without working or using public funds. This can be through savings or with help from a family or friends living in the UK.
- Provide contact details of family or friends you are going to stay with.
- Their name and date of birth will also be required.
- You will also have to provide a complete address for the authorities to check.
- Also, details of the relationship you have with the person you are staying with.
- Moreover, they also need to send their consent confirming that you will be staying with them.
- In case you are not staying with anyone known, your parents, guardian or school need to inform the authorities you will be fostered under during your stay.
- In you are travelling with someone known then you need to identify this person in your visa application.
What is a Long-term Standard Visitor Visa?
Long-term standard visitor visas are granted to individuals who want to visit the United Kingdom for a longer duration. For example, a visit lasting between 2-10 years. With a long-term standard visitor visa, a person can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit. However, those who are 18 at the time of application, can only have the visa validity for up to 6 months. According to UKVI, if the applicant does not meet the eligibility criteria the visa might be granted for a shorter duration. Moreover, a refund of visa fees will not be provided if the visa application is refused or if the applicant receives the visa for a shorter duration.
The general eligibility criteria for the UK standard visitor visa are as follows. Note: having a passport/travel document for the duration of your stay is mandatory.
- The applicant must be willing to leave the UK at the end of the visit
- The applicant must be able to financially support themselves and their dependents for the duration of the trip
- Must have sufficient funds to pay for the return or onward journey. It is possible to have someone else fund for the visit
- The applicant must not stay in the UK for an extended period of time. For example, frequent visits, or making UK his/her permanent home
- Meet additional eligibility requirements to study/placement/take an examination, to visit the UK as an academic/senior doctor/dentist, or to visit the UK for medical reasons.
Get to know the UK Visa Requirements for Indians in detail
Several documents are required for a UK standard visitor visa. These documents are as follows:
- The applicant must have a passport/travel document for the duration of their stay
- Moreover, there must be blank pages in the passport
- While filling out the online application, applicants must provide necessary information such as dates of travel to the UK, location of stay, trip cost, current home address, parents’ names, date of birth, income, etc.
- TB test certificate
- Additional documents, if required
Identification Proof and Documentation
To apply for a UK standard visa, applicants have to book an appointment at the visa application centre. The applicants must attend the visa appointment, and must do the following:
- Provide proof of identity. For example, passport
- Provide biometric information and submit a photograph
- Provide essential documentation to prove the eligibility
The decision regarding the UK standard visitor visa application is provided within 3 weeks. The decision will be conveyed to the email address provided. The next steps regarding the visa will also be available in the email.
UK Visitor Visa Validity
The validity of a standard UK Visitor Visa is based on your choice. The validity is usually for 2 years. However, if you are a frequent visitor, you can opt for a 5-year or 10-year visa validity as well.
Nonetheless, the validity of the visa will not affect the duration of your stay. You can only stay for a maximum of 06 months per visit on a UK Visitor Visa. If you are on regular business for longer durations, you can look for other visa routes.
Here is how you can get Skilled Worker Visa in UK
UK Standard Visitor Visa: Cancellation
For the UK Standard Visitor Visa cancellation contact the UKVI. The fees will only be refunded if the application has not been processed.
When to Apply for a Standard Visitor visa?
A standard visitor visa needs to be applied 3 months before the date of intended travel to the UK. The cost of the visa is approximately £115 for up to 6 months.
UK Visitor Visa Fees & Duration of Stay
The fees and the duration of stay for a UK standard visitor visa can vary. Those who plan to visit the UK for a longer period can apply for a long-term standard visitor visa.
|Maximum length of stay
|Standard Visitor visa for medical reasons
|Standard Visitor visa
|Standard Visitor visa for academics
|2 year long-term Standard Visitor visa
|6 months per visit
|5-year long-term Standard Visitor visa
|6 months per visit
|10-year long-term Standard Visitor visa
|6 months per visit
Get to know the Best Part-time Jobs in London
A standard visitor visa UK is a visa available for international visitors. The visa is granted for tourism, business, education (up to 6 months), and other permitted activities. The applicant stays in the UK for 6 months. However, you can extend the visa validity under exceptional circumstances.
Applicants must maintain a minimum balance of INR 2 lakh- INR 3 lakh per person. It will prove that the applicant has sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay.
UK Visa authorities take approximately 3 weeks for the visa to be processed. The visa decision can be received faster depending on the nationality of the applicant.
The validity for a UK visitor visa is between a few months to long durations such as 2 years, 5 years or 10 years. You can choose the validity as per your requirement and frequency of visit.
The fee for a standard UK visitor visa is £115. However, it varies according to the purpose of the visit. For example, the standard visitor visa for medical reasons is £200 whereas for a 2-year long-term standard visitor visa is £400.
We hope you now understand what UK Standard visitor visa is, its requirements, the application process, etc. Want to apply for a Visa for your study abroad journey? Drop us a comment in the section below, or you can connect with a visa expert at Leverage Edu, and we will guide you on your dream journey!