The antonyms of ‘Generous’ are selfish, meagre, and greedy to mention a few. In English, the word generous first appeared in the 1580s and was used to describe someone who was of noble birth and therefore had a natural inclination to be generous.
Over time, the meaning of the word evolved to refer to anyone who exhibited generosity, regardless of their social status.
Meaning of Generous
Generous is an adjective that describes someone who is willing to give or share with others, often in a large or abundant amount. It can also refer to someone who has a kind and giving nature.
Also Read: 110+ Antonyms
9+ Opposites of Generous
Let’s take a look at the following opposites or antonyms of the generous to expand your understanding of the word:
Usage with Examples
The word generous is often objective and can vary depending on the context and perspective of the speaker.
Let’s take a look at the following examples to use the antonyms of generous in a sentence:
- He was so stingy that he wouldn’t even buy his own children birthday presents.
- She was too selfish to share her food with her starving friend.
- His greed was so extreme that he would do anything for money.
- The miserly old man refused to spend any money on heating, even in the dead of winter.
- Her mean-spirited comments were hurtful and unnecessary.
Also Read: Antonyms of Improve, Meaning and Examples
Antonyms of Generous Quiz
Pick the closest word that is the antonym of ‘Generous’ from the options given below:
Also Read: Antonyms of Selfish with Meaning and Example
This was all about the antonym of Stingy with meaning and examples. I hope you understood the usage of the word. To read more antonym blogs, follow Leverage Edu.