What is US Work Visa?

12 minute read
us work visa

Working in the world’s largest economy seems unfathomable! However, if you have an exceptional work profile, it is only a US work visa that you would need to be eligible to work there. Believe it or not but that’s not a rough ride either, getting a US work visa is easy if you have all the documents in place and work requirements in order. Live the American dream, with a great standard of living, vibrant city culture and friendly work conditions in the USA. Discover the type of US visa you would require and get ready to build a life overseas!

Different Types of USA Work Visa

What is US work visa? A foreign national looking to work in the USA must obtain a work visa in order to work in the country. Although, these could be temporary visas or permanent visas. However, for any kind of visa, your employer will first have to submit a petition to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

  • Temporary Visas – Non-immigrant
  • Permanent Residence Visa – Immigrant

Temporary Non-Immigrant Visa

For those who want to enter the USA to work for a fixed period of time apply for a temporary visa. Temporary visas are also of many types. These include the following;


H-1B visas are for those with a college degree or higher, or the equivalent in work experience, who work in a certain professional or academic sector or have unique skills. These visas have a three-year residency limit.

  • H1B Visa: This visa is for those in specialty occupations.
  • H1B1 Visa: This visa is for professionals under the Free Trade Agreement.
  • H2A Visa: This is for temporary Agricultural workers.
  • H2B Visa: It is a visa that includes temporary non-agricultural workers.
  • H3 Visa: Visa for Trainee or Special Education Visitor.


Reporters, film crews, editors, and other members of the foreign press who are representing a foreign media outlet such as print, radio, film, or other foreign information medium and have a home office in a foreign country are eligible for I visas. For the most part, this is an indefinite visa as long as the person is employed by the same employer.


L Visas are for individuals who are temporarily transferring within a company where they already work, either at the executive/management level (L-1A) or through particular skills (L-1B). The L-1A visa is valid for three years, but the L-1B visa is only valid for one year.


O visas are for people with remarkable abilities or achievements in a variety of fields. Those travelling with a person of outstanding ability or a family member are also eligible for O visas.


These visas are for persons who excel in performance, athletics, or artistic endeavours, as well as those who accompany them. These are usually durations based on events.

  • P1 Visa: It is a visa for an individual or a team Athlete. Members of an Entertainment Group also fall under this category.
  • P2 Visa: This visa is for artists and entertainers under an exchange program with a US organisation.
  • P3 Visa: Unique ethnic, cultural or traditional trainers or performers need this visa.


Non-immigrant religious workers who are members of a religious denomination that has official non-profit status in the United States and are travelling to work for that religion or an allied non-profit are eligible for R visas.


Qualified Canadian and Mexican residents may also apply for temporary entrance into the United States to participate in professional business activities under the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Q Visa

Only the Q1 is applicable under this category. This involves participants in an International Cultural Exchange Program visiting US for a short time period.

Also Read: How to Transfer Universities in USA?

Student and Exchange Visitors

There are different types of visas under this category as well. Explore the following to find your right match.



M visas are available for students at language training programs and vocational programs. Other accredited non-academic institutions (those that require an F visa) are also covered under this visa. M-2 visas are available for the student’s family, including his or her spouse and children. M-3 visas are available for commuting students from Canada or Mexico.


J visas are offered for au pairs, camp counsellors, trainees and interns. Moreover, those who are engaging in labour or study-based programs also apply through this program. Applicants must meet eligibility criteria, including English language proficiency, and programs must promote cultural exchange. J-2 visas are for the J-1 visa holder’s dependents.

When to Apply for USA Work Visa?

Your H, L, O, P, or Q visa application will be processed by the Embassy or Consulate 90 days before the start of your employment status, as indicated on your I-797. Please keep in mind that, according to Federal restrictions, you can only utilize the visa to petition for admission to the United States commencing ten days before the commencement of the allowed status period listed on your I-797.

Eligibility for USA Work Visa

If you want to apply for an H, L, O, P, or Q visa, you must pay USD 190 and submit the following documents:

  • Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (Form DS-160). Visit the DS-160 web page for further information on the device.
  • A passport is valid for travel to the United States that is valid for at least six months beyond your expected stay in the country (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If your passport contains more than one person, each person who needs a visa must apply separately. 
  • One (1) photograph shot within the last six months, measuring 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm). The web page describes the needed photo format. Depending on your nationality, the issuance of a visa may include an additional visa issuance reciprocity cost. You can find out if you have to pay a visa issuance reciprocity fee and how much it costs on the Department of State’s website.
  • You must pay a fraud prevention and detection charge if you are an L-1 applicant on a blanket petition (more information about this fee is here).
  • The receipt number is printed on your I-129 petition that has been authorized.
  • At the interview, paper copies of the I-797 are not necessary.

You must also submit an interview appointment letter indicating that you booked an appointment through our service in addition to these documents. You may also bring any supporting documents that you believe may bolster the consular officer’s information.

Also Read: Universities in USA without Application Fee

Application Process for USA Work Visa

What is US work visa? The US work visa is a visa applied by individuals who want to work in the USA. The following are the step-by-step application process for the US work visa.

What is US Work Visa?

Step 1: Determine Visa Type

Applicants for Nonimmigrant Visas: Determine your visa type by reading Common Nonimmigrant Visas. The requirements and application elements for each visa class are detailed. Select the visa type that best suits your needs. Also, look into the Visa Waiver Program. If you are visiting the United States for business or pleasure and will be staying for 90 days or less, you will not need to apply for a visa if your country is a participant in the Visa Waiver Program.

Step 2: Fill Out the Application Form

The next step is to fill out the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form. Make sure you thoroughly read the Instructions for Filling Out the DS-160 Form. All information must be accurate and current. Once you’ve submitted the form, you won’t be able to make any changes. If you require assistance, please contact an immigration lawyer or a translator. The call centre will not be able to help you complete your DS-160. You’ll need your DS-160 number to schedule an appointment.

Note: If you have previously been denied a visa, you must submit a new Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form.

Step 3: Pay the Visa Fee

You must pay the visa fee after determining the relevant visa type and completing the DS-160. The visa fee page contains the various visa types as well as the associated visa fees in US dollars and local currency. Read the Bank and payment options page to learn how to pay your visa fee. This page will show you how to pay your visa fee. You’ll create a profile and need to keep track of your receipt number to schedule your visa appointment.

Step 4: Schedule Visa Interview

You’re almost ready to make an appointment for your visa interview! You must now log into your account using the same credentials you used to pay your visa fee. You’ll see your dashboard once you’ve logged in. On the left-hand menu, select Schedule Appointment. This will start the appointment scheduling process for you. You must make two appointments: one at the Visa Application Center (VAC) and one at the Embassy or Consulate for the visa interview.

Make an appointment at a Visa Application Center first. This appointment will allow you to get your fingerprints and photo taken at one of the five Visa Application Center sites. This appointment must take place at least one day before your visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate. Second, make an appointment for your visa interview at the Embassy or Consulate. To make your appointment, you’ll need the following three things:

  • the number on your passport
  • when did you pay your fee?
  • your DS-160 confirmation page’s ten (10) digit barcode number

As you go through the process, you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal information, add dependents, choose your document delivery location, confirm visa payment, and schedule your appointment.

Step 5: Checklist of Documents

To your Visa Application Centre appointment, you must bring the following items: A valid passport for travel to the United States with a validity period of at least six months beyond your intended stay in the country (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If your passport contains more than one person, each person who needs a visa must apply separately.

  • Your confirmation page for the DS-160.
  • This is the confirmation page for your appointment.
  • If the applicant is under the age of 14, they must submit one photograph in accordance with US visa requirements. For more information, see the Photos and Fingerprints page.

Step 6: Attend the Visa Interview

You will proceed to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate on the date and time of your visa interview after having your photo and fingerprints taken at the Visa Application Centre. The following items must be brought with you:

  • A copy of your appointment letter on paper,
  • Page 2 of your DS-160 confirmation
  • Your current passport as well as all previous passports
  • Supporting Documents based on the type of visa you’re applying for
  • You must pay a fraud prevention and detection charge if you are an L-1 applicant on a blanket petition (more information about this fee is here).
  • The receipt number is printed on your I-129 petition that has been authorized. At the interview, paper copies of the I-797 are not necessary.

Also Read: Oldest Universities in USA

US Work Visa Fee

Here is the visa application fee for different visa types under the US Work Visa. Please check the fee amount carefully before proceeding to pay the fees.

Visa TypeDescriptionFee Amount (in USD)
FStudent (academic)160
HTemporary/Seasonal Workers and Employment, Trainees190
IJournalist and Media160
JExchange Visitor160
LIntracompany Transferees190
MStudent (vocational)160
OPersons with Extraordinary Ability190
PAthletes. Artists & Entertainers190
RReligious Worker190
TN/TDNAFTA Professionals160

Post Study US Work Visa

One of the key aspects of interest for overseas students intending to pursue an education in the United States is a post-study employment visa. The majority of international students desire to work in the United States after they finish their studies. Some of the student visa options available in the United States allow students to work there for a short period of time while they are studying and after they have completed their degree.

As a result, an international student who wishes to return to the United States and work there for a period of time must gather information about the various visa choices accessible to them and determine which one is best for their education in the United States and subsequent employment.

The F1 visa is a post-study work visa that permits a student to stay in the United States for up to 12 months after completing their studies, whereas the J1 and M1 student visas provide visa-holders a grace period of 30 days to stay in the country.

Post Study Work Visa (USA) – Requirements for F1 Visa

As previously stated, the F1 visa permits students to apply for OPT and work for up to a year after completing their studies, allowing them to apply what they learned in class to their practical training. The F1 visa qualifying requirements are shown below.

  • International students applying for an F1 visa must have been accepted into an academic educational program/language program at a US Citizenship and Immigration Services-approved institution, college, or university (USCIS).
  • Students must be enrolled full-time as normal students at a US educational institution.
  • International students must be fluent in English or enrolled in a program that will enable them to become fluent in English.
  • Candidates must also have sufficient funds to support themselves in the United States for the duration of their studies.

How to Apply for an F1 Visa for Post-Study Work in the United States?

Students who intend to pursue full-time academic courses in the United States and then acquire a USA work permit for a short period in the country must apply for an F1 visa. International students should keep in mind that they should only begin their visa application after their selected US college has accepted them. Here are the outlined methods to apply for an F1 visa, generally known as a post-study employment visa by many students in the USA.

  • The first step in applying for a visa is to be accepted into a SEVP-approved US institution. The institution subsequently gives the approved student a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status), which includes his or her SEVIS-ID and other vital information.
  • Students must now pay the I-901 SEVIS fee online and print a copy of the confirmation page for their records.
  • Then, go to the nearest US embassy or consulate and apply for an international student visa.
  • Fill out Form DS I-160 (Non-immigrant Visa Application Form) online and upload the necessary documents to finish and submit the form. Print a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
  • Students must now schedule a visa interview with the nearest US embassy or consulate and pay a cost of USD 160 for the visa application. Candidates must maintain a receipt of their visa application fee payment.
  • Finally, the students must appear for the visa interview on the scheduled date. Students are advised whether or not they will be granted a student visa to study in the United States based on this interview.


What is a USA Spouse Visa or H1B Visa?

The H1B Visa spouse is called the H4 Visa. An H-4 Visa is a United States Visa that allows dependent family members of H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, and H-3 Visa holders to visit or reconnect with the primary Visa holder in the United States. A spouse or unmarried child under the age of 21 is considered a dependent family member.

What is an OFC Appointment?

An OFC appointment is required by law for most applicants. Before visiting the Consulate Sections for the US visa process, the students will most likely have to book an appointment with the OFC. An OFC appointment for a US visa is the beginning of the visa process that an aspirant has to complete before he/she can fly to the country.

How much does the USA work permit visa fee cost?

The cost of the USA work permit visa fee is USD 190 INR 15,133.

Who is eligible for a work visa?

To be eligible for US work visa applicants must be between the ages of 35 to 55. Moreover, they must have a contact to work a foreign country and must have at least 3 years of work experience.

This is your go-to guide for USA Work Permit Visa. Are you planning to study in the USA? If you want to get into your dream course in a high-ranked global university, you’ll need more than just good grades; you’ll also need flawless application because the competition is fierce. You may enlist the assistance of Leverage Edu specialists to assist you with the application process so that you can realize your goals. Call us immediately at 1800 57 2000 for a free 30-minute counselling session.

Leave a Reply

Required fields are marked *