The meaning of to end in the smoke idiom is that something, usually a plan, effort, or expectation, has failed or come to nothing. It suggests that despite initial hopes or efforts, the outcome was disappointing, unproductive, or unsuccessful.
Also Read: Idioms For IELTS
Usage With Examples
- After months of preparation, their grand business venture was to end in smoke when they couldn’t secure the necessary funding.
- His ambitious dreams of becoming a famous actor eventually came to an end in smoke as he struggled to get even minor roles.
- The political negotiations that were expected to bring about peace sadly ended in smoke, leading to further conflict.
Also Read: Cut The Mustard Meaning, Examples, Synonyms
Some of the synonyms and related phrases used are:
- To come to nothing
- To fizzle out
- To fall through
- To be in vain
- To fail miserably
To Smoke In End Idiom Meaning Quiz
What is the meaning of the ‘to end in smoke” idiom meaning:
- To experience a sudden and unexpected success.
- To become a memorable and celebrated event.
- To result in failure or disappointment after initial hope or effort.
The answer to this question is “The result is a failure and disappointment after any effort”/
Also Read: List of Idioms and Phrases for IELTS
This was all about the to end in smoke idiom meaning and examples. I hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.