Strike while the iron is hot is an idiom meaning to take advantage of an opportunity or situation which can be beneficial and is not going to last longer. Just like a blacksmith strikes an iron while it is hot or at least when he knows the temperature is right for shaping the iron, this phrase suggests that one should take action when the situation is right or optimal and before the opportunity diminishes.
This idiom implies that one should take decisions and actions timely to capitalize on a moment of advantage and enthusiasm, rather than potentially missing an opportunity.
Also Read – Love is a Journey Not a Destination Meaning
Usage With Example
Strike while the iron is hot can be used in various aspects of life, such as business, personal growth, relationships, etc. Going to different examples of using the ‘Strike while the iron is hot’ phrase allows you to understand and use this phrase appropriately. Here are some examples of this idiom that you can consider.
- ‘Manisha suggested I strike while the iron is hot if I want to build a solid foundation of my relationship with the girl I like.’
- ‘One should not wait until their motivation wanes and must strike while the iron is hot to make the most of their eagerness to learn.’
- ‘If you feel inspired and motivated on a creative project, you must strike while the iron is hot to get the best of your creative energy.’
- ‘Pascal suggested his friend should apply for the position of Counsellor, as there is a vacancy available. He must strike while the iron is hot to seize the opportunity.’
Also read – Cry Wolf Meaning
Strike While the Iron is Hot Synonyms
The idiom ‘Strike while the iron is hot’ has a lot of synonyms and similar words, that can be used in different contexts and aspects of daily life. Here are some of the commonly used synonyms for this idiom.
- Seize the opportunity
- Take time by the forelock
- Do it now
- Time is of the essence
- Grasp the opportunity
- Time waits for no one
Also read – Go Back to the Drawing Board Meaning
Strike While the Iron is Hot Quiz
‘Your business idea perfectly aligns with the current market trend and so you must strike while the iron is hot so that….
- You can establish a strong business.
- You can explore more about markets
- You can be in debt
Ans. You can establish a strong business.
This was all about the phrase strike while the iron is hot meaning and examples. Hope you understood the concept where it’s used. For more such blogs, follow Leverage Edu.